Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else's hounds do this?? Rusty & Stickers sleep in one of our spare bedrooms that we have made into an office. That's where I am now using the computer. We actually use this room quite a bit. It is carpeted unlike the family room area. They each have a soft pillow bed in here. Everynight, we take them out for their last bathroom break and off to bed we send them. When they come in from outside they immediately go to their beds. Every night in the middle of the night (anywhere from 1:00 am to 4:00 am) they break out in song!!!! Loud howling together!!! Our bedroom is across the other side of the house!!! I'm afraid my security alarm will be set off by their singing!!! My Husband gets out of bed goes to the office and tells them to quiet and go back to sleep. He said they're usually laying down, helps held high and howling away. They shut up and go back to sleep till morning??? What's this mean?? I've been told that they miss us??? They wake up and don't see us so they howl??? Opinons anyone????

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the strange part, they only do it at night, in the middle of the night! We don't close the door to the room they sleep in. They have a choice of several other rooms. They also can sleep on their 2 pipe beds or their crib mattress all of which is in the family room. Our bedroom is the only room they aren't allowed in. I trained them to stop at the doorway. I really don't want the drool and dog hair in that room. I just feel that's our room and they don't belong in there. Maggie Mae (ATB) was allowed in there and she made it a habit to hang out there even if we weren't in the room. The room really looked like her room after awhile so I decided when we got them that room would be off limits.

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again last night!!! It started off and on some time ago but now has become a nightly habit. Our house is really sound proof. It's built of block so you really can't hear much outside. Our street is really quiet at night. I'm beginning to believe that they do miss us. Especially Rusty. He has become quite attached to me. I'm going to try the Tshirt idea. Grab one from way down in the hamper :blink: :blink: and see if that helps. Thanks for the replies! I'll keep you posted!

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just thought I'd post an update on last night. I dug deep down in the clothes hamper and got 2 stinky Tshirts. One for each of their beds. We all went to bed last night at 11:00 and not a howl could be heard :D :D We actually woke up first. My Husband came out to the kitchen and just at that moment Rusty was rounding the corner with one of the Tshirts in his mouth. We slept the whole night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll do the same thing tonight and keep my fingers crossed. This was the first night they haven't howled in well over a week & 1/2!!!

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The bedroom where they sleep is totally dark and cozy. Soft with carpeting and their soft pillow beds with bed pillows on them!! They also have soft fleece blankets. Here's Stickers on hers on day in the family room.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/Boo...ie/100_1002.jpg

I did get a new stinky Tshirt last night so it wasn't the same Tshirt from the night before :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I really think Rusty is starting it and missing us. Wish us peaceful sleep tonight!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.