Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone else's hounds do this?? Rusty & Stickers sleep in one of our spare bedrooms that we have made into an office. That's where I am now using the computer. We actually use this room quite a bit. It is carpeted unlike the family room area. They each have a soft pillow bed in here. Everynight, we take them out for their last bathroom break and off to bed we send them. When they come in from outside they immediately go to their beds. Every night in the middle of the night (anywhere from 1:00 am to 4:00 am) they break out in song!!!! Loud howling together!!! Our bedroom is across the other side of the house!!! I'm afraid my security alarm will be set off by their singing!!! My Husband gets out of bed goes to the office and tells them to quiet and go back to sleep. He said they're usually laying down, helps held high and howling away. They shut up and go back to sleep till morning??? What's this mean?? I've been told that they miss us??? They wake up and don't see us so they howl??? Opinons anyone????

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
When Sadie was alive, she & Spencer would frequently have howling duets. Once one would start, the other would always join in. However, they never did it at night! Sometimes I could tell what set them off, but usually I could not see any reason for the howling. I always loved to hear them howl together, though I'm not sure if I would have loved it so much in the middle of the night!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the strange part, they only do it at night, in the middle of the night! We don't close the door to the room they sleep in. They have a choice of several other rooms. They also can sleep on their 2 pipe beds or their crib mattress all of which is in the family room. Our bedroom is the only room they aren't allowed in. I trained them to stop at the doorway. I really don't want the drool and dog hair in that room. I just feel that's our room and they don't belong in there. Maggie Mae (ATB) was allowed in there and she made it a habit to hang out there even if we weren't in the room. The room really looked like her room after awhile so I decided when we got them that room would be off limits.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They probably think it's funny! I mean, c'mon, they're Bassets!

Seriously, I have no idea. That's a new one around here.

In our home we have to leave the doggie door open all night, Minnie seems to have a very small bladder, or she can't "hold it" as well as other females, due to her probably being over-bred in her early years. (With her saggy belly and gnarly nips, she definitely had a lot of puppies.) At least that's our Vet's theory. Since the dogie door is open all night, 2-4 times a week either one or both hounds go out and bark in the middle of the night, at whatever critters happen to be out there. We live on the edge of the woods, so there are often critters roaming in the night.

I wonder what bugs the neighbors more, the barking, or me getting the dogs back in: "Minnie, Dudley, get your [email protected]#$% in here!" ?!?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The hounds come right in, happy as can be, all waggly and such "We scared away that bad 'ol possum/racoon/fox/cat/whatever, Dad!"

Then we all go back to sleep, some happier than others. <_<

·
Registered
511 Posts
Dozer has been doing something very similar lately. He's been barking and howling while sleeping. I thought he was just getting lazy, and didn't want to go out to bark, but he was still asleep. It's not very loud, but once in a while he just blurts out a bark or a howl.
It's not a big deal, but when you think he's sleeping, you don't expect it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
......I wonder what bugs the neighbors more, the barking, or me getting the dogs back in: "Minnie, Dudley, get your [email protected]#$% in here!" ?!?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: ......[/b]
I've done that a few times in the middle of the night. They go out to pee, then hear something and start barking.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Every night in the middle of the night (anywhere from 1:00 am to 4:00 am) they break out in song!!!![/b]
This is new behavior?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again last night!!! It started off and on some time ago but now has become a nightly habit. Our house is really sound proof. It's built of block so you really can't hear much outside. Our street is really quiet at night. I'm beginning to believe that they do miss us. Especially Rusty. He has become quite attached to me. I'm going to try the Tshirt idea. Grab one from way down in the hamper :blink: :blink: and see if that helps. Thanks for the replies! I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh!!! We are jealous, because Bogie still hasn't howled yet!

Bubba used to sing for his supper, but Bogie is really quiet, hardly ever barks, and an occasional growl when the neighbors go to their mail box which is right beside ours. We take him when we get our mail, and we think he thinks they are messing with our stuff so he growls. Hopefully he doesn't start singing in the night.

Worst case senario move their beds beside yours. :lol: Those poor babies having to sleep all by themselves. :lol:
Just teasing Patti. I haven't got a clue as how to help. Keep us posted on the singing duo!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
The only time Charlie bays is in his sleep. And in the world of bassets, when one sings -- they all do. Is it possible this is what's happening with your two? I just brought my third one home a couple of weeks ago, and the noise and energy levels have definitely taken a quick uphill spike, but so far we've had no concerts!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Would a muzzle prevent the howl? As a last resort you could walk in there at night and muzzle them. If you only did it in that situation they'd probably get the idea- they're smart.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought I'd post an update on last night. I dug deep down in the clothes hamper and got 2 stinky Tshirts. One for each of their beds. We all went to bed last night at 11:00 and not a howl could be heard :D :D We actually woke up first. My Husband came out to the kitchen and just at that moment Rusty was rounding the corner with one of the Tshirts in his mouth. We slept the whole night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll do the same thing tonight and keep my fingers crossed. This was the first night they haven't howled in well over a week & 1/2!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
That's just the cutest thing! I was wondering if maybe there's a sound during the night ...maybe a neighbor starts their car and leaves for a night shift and it sets them off? But I guess they just wake up lonely and how togetherl! That's too cute. Use whatever works to ease their minds.

We had a problem with Dixie waking up in the middle of the night and coming into our "off limits" bedroom just recently. Thought maybe she might be getting cold and I think I was right. We put a small down throw on her futon and she's a snuggle bug all night! Not a peep last night. We actually find her in there during the day, curled up in her comforter.

See ...they send us messages and we just have to figure them out! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
289 Posts
and just at that moment Rusty was rounding the corner with one of the Tshirts in his mouth.[/b]
:lol:

They love you.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What great news!!! :D How cute is that, with Rusty rounding the corner with the T-shirt in his mouth. :D Rusty was letting you know he appreciated the comfort of the T-shirt.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have a group howl every night around 6:15. Ironically my non-bassets howl far better than a couple of my bassets do. Elvis just looks at everyone like they've lost their minds.

I love the howl, but am thankful they do it when I am still awake.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning and Stomps do this too! It's usually about a half-hour after I go to bed. Stomps aroos a lot, but this nighttime howlfest is the only time Lightning aroos. They have dog doors too, and sometimes they go outside and sing with a neighbor dog, whose howl sounds like he's being tortured. I don't know why they do it--maybe they hear coyotes? But I love it. My neighbors aren't close enough to hear my dogs when they're singing in the house, and I think they like it when all three get going outside. (I have incredible neighbors.) So I don't try to stop them.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:( Sorry to hear the duo is at it again. :( Try keeping them awake all evening, and then top it off with a late night walk or romp to really tire them out before bed time. If they are like Bogie, keeping them awake all evening will be a real challenge. When he's ready to sack out, he's out and a limp noodle if you try to get him to move or wake up.
:lol: Hey! You could build them a sound proof room to sleep in and then they could sing all night. :lol:
Sorry I don't have any more ideas.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts