Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There
i have posted this item 3 times and it keeps dissapearing. Loooking for help with a problem i have with my 9 year old basset Josh. We leave him in the house every day while we go to work - also so that he doesnt kick the door down and create annoyance amongst our neighbours. However through concrete walls they can hear him crying as soon as we leave. Does anyone know or have any tips as to what to do and also if those no bark collars work in the case of crying / howling - he is obviously very lonely during the day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Our Basset,Tatsi, is only a pup. But I had the same problem with a husky that howled. Try hiding treats and toys to keep her busy while you are away. It take a bit of thought, but if it works, what the heck! Music or the TV on is a help to.
One idea that will cause a riot on the board, try the collar that you can makes a niose that should scare the dog. You are just on the other side of your front door, as if you had left for work. If that doesn't stop the dog, you can set it to give a mild zap. I have never used one, and the zqp I would try on myself before our Tatsi.
Just a thougtht.................... :unsure: :wacko: :blink:

M

·
0 Posts
My rescue basset does the same thing. I think this has been working. I spread peanut butter on a biscuit and as I leave I give it to her. It could be on anything,, like a chew toy. I think the peanut butter makes them lick and it could tire them out.. maybe..

You could take him out for a walk before work. This may be difficult but it does work.
I also leave very soft music on,, or the tv on...
Remember, don't give him any attention about 1/2 hour before you leave.
As you leave have a saying that you say every time you leave. I say "I'll be right back"

good luck
mary f

·
Registered
48 Posts
we have had neighbors ask if someone was sick,we have 1 howler and 2 barkers give them a treat before you leave and leave the tv on the animal channel if you have that channel :blink:

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Hi There
i have posted this item 3 times and it keeps dissapearing. Loooking for help with a problem i have with my 9 year old basset Josh. We leave him in the house every day while we go to work - also so that he doesnt kick the door down and create annoyance amongst our neighbours. However through concrete walls they can hear him crying as soon as we leave. Does anyone know or have any tips as to what to do and also if those no bark collars work in the case of crying / howling - he is obviously very lonely during the day.
[/b]
see seperation anxiety

giving the dog something else to do might also help some in this regard a stuffed kong or a toy like a buster cube that periodically despenses a treat work for many

Kong Stuffing Pointer

Kong Company

buster cube

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the tips! I will start trying some of them out and let you know how I get on. I think the walk before work is a great idea - it would completly tire him out. I was also thinking of a companion - another dog -but my fear of Josh teaching a puppy to cry banished that thought - Id end up having a choir of howlers!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would try the walk before leaving idea. You know the old saying - A tired dog is a happy dog! I am also a big fan of a stuffed Kong. I smear the inside with peanutbutter and then stuff the middle with Bill Jack (this is a frozen dog food you can get at the supermarket. It thaws out to a consistency sort of like hamburger and the dogs love it.) My dogs love for me to leave, because they know that's when they get their Kong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts