Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackie is in her Intermediate Education class at Petsmart and one of their tasks is to learn how to heel. I can get Jackie to "place" (sit down next to my left foot) but the "heel" part is breaking my back. My current method is to hold a lot of yummy treats in my left hand and guide her with the treats while I'm walking. I take three steps, stop and then "place" her again and start the whole process over. I'm 6'2'' and my back starts killing me after ten minutes of practice and at the rate we are going, it will be many hours before Jackie gets the hang of being able to heel.

How have you been able to train your basset to heel? Does anyone have any suggestions for other methods I could use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am of no help at all. I can't even walk Lou anymore. He pulls my arm out of the socket....or I pull it out of the socket trying to get him to move from the same spot he has been smelling for 20 minutes. I could go home, make a cup of tea, drink it, and Louie would be at the same spot I left him in...LOL!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I've taught ours to heel by walking in the street along the curb in our neighboorhood which has no sidewalks. I put Bogie on my left side between me and the curb that acts as a buffer zone. Cue Jackie with your left foot when you begin to heel from the sitting position. Say "Jackie, heel!" and at the same time start walking with your left foot, exagerating the motion, and begin walking. If she doesn't come, just repeat"Jackie, heel!" Don't pled, beg with other "words" which will only confuse. Keep walking and give quick tugs to keep her moving if dragging behind. When she gets to the right postion at your side, take a couple of steps while she's in the right position, stop, sit, and praise. Repeat.
Use a choke chain, some won't agree, but the classes I've been in recommend them, carrying the leash in right hand and use left hand for corrections. Be sure choke chain is on correctly, should look like the letter "P" as you slide it over her head.
As you begin walking use the "quick tug on leash" and then "release" if she gets to far ahead. Their head should be about in line with your hip. Each time you give the quick tug, say, "Jackie, heel!" Don't "PULL" steadily, they will just keep on pulling, an learn to pull harder. If she is still pulling, immediately start walking backwards which will snatch her around and get her attention. Sounds mean, but it only takes once or twice and they will not pull ahead. Bassets are strong, so when I do this I run the leash behind my back which gets the pull and not my arm.
After you go a short distance, stop, sit and reward with a treat for good heeling. Be sure to lead off with the left foot each time you start walking and say, "Jackie, heel!" Next time you stop to reward just pet, lots of praise. Continue on. Keep her guessing about the treats, randomly giving them.
As she gets better, practice with figure 8's, weaving in and out of objects. I put the yard chairs out. This gives them practice being on the inside and outside as they heel.
Do a couple of short training sessions each day, about ten to fifteen min. max. Practice, practice, and be sure you use the same words and same cues each time. Vary where you walk, do indoors around the dining room table, up the stairs, around the various rooms in your house, etc. on rainy days.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
George heels beautifully in the middle of a walk -- after the first "we're going for a walk!!!" tugging and running part wears off and before the "I'm tired! Send Dad home for the car!" part where he refuses to budge another inch. Honest, for five or six minutes he's the picture of perfect heeling! :lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
To save your back, place the food treat in your mouth and spit it out to the dog. This is best initially done with the dog sitting directly in front of you. After they get the hang of the "look", spit out the food and they catch it, put the dog in the "heel" position, say "forward" or "heel" or whatever, take a couple of steps, give the "sit" command and reward with a mouth projectile. This is a great way to teach "attention" (as the dog is always looking at your mouth, hence being in the heel position). Food motivation is the only way to train a Basset that isn't toy motivated. I've owned, trained and put Obedience titles on all of my Bassets since the 70's and none of them cared about toys. You could also place a treat in your left hand at knee level to "lure" the dog while heeling, gradually withdrawing the treat as they incorporate the "heeling/luring " process. A good obedience instructer should be able to help you with your dilemna. Good luck, Belinda.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
"Teach a Basset"?! Teach a Basset?!! :blink: I think that's a myth... perhaps the Mythbusters can give that one a try. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts