Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've only had our 12 week pup for a few days but it can't seem to do what I thought every dog loves to do... walk! I've tried searching the internet for tutorials and tips but they all seem to explain how to get you dog to stop pulling. Mine wont even get off the ground, I almost wish he would pull because I would like to take him on some sort of walk! He seems to just want to sit or lay and I can't get get him motivated to move. If I do get him to walk, its only for a brief minute before he wants to sit again. And when he does walk its always all over the place, switching sides, speeding up, slowing down, etc. I know the basset is a low energy breed but this is just terrible! I end up carrying him on our "walks". I've already tried treats, which I think has back fired on me. Now he definitely won't get up a from a sit position unless I entice him with a treat and once he gets it, he just sits again (he does a little better with my partner who doesnt give treats). How do I get him to walk at all? Just around the block would be nice. I have him on a harness + leash and it is a little big for him, if this impacts the situation at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Walking

Oh no! The "not walking" on a walk is a big fear of mine. We've had our 13 week old basset for a few weeks now but we haven't been able to take him on walks yet because he has one more shot to get. He gets this shot on Friday and then we'll be cleared to walk! But I'm concerned he'll be bored and stubborn and refuse to walk.

I don't have any advice but I'm eager to hear other peoples experiences. I think the whole "treat" reward is over rated too. It's not really helping with potty training so I don't expect it to work with walking...

I think we are going to start with short walks... and increase them daily. Our basset, Higgins, gets distracted very easily so I have a feeling the walks are going to be a challenge. A fun and entertaining challenge though!

You are not alone!

·
Registered
878 Posts
At 12 and 13 weeks they are too young to be going out on walks, unless it's for five minutes!

I was lucky having two sisters together aged 9 weeks, because they used to play around together in the garden for ages, running around the picnic table, chasing each other underneath it and under a bench in the garden and they would chase balls and play with their tuggy toys, then lie down or go inside to sleep for an hour or two in their cosy bed and then back outside they would go and they got plenty of exercise this way. (Supervised if they played with a stick as sometimes did). They were so squidgy!!!

To get them used to the leash, I bought them soft collars and would attach a leash and let them walk around dragging it (I watched them to make sure they didn't get it trapped anywhere) and then gradually I would hold onto to it and lead them around the house downstairs (not allowed up & down stairs as it's bad for their joints) or around the garden and then by the time they could go walkies, they didn't mind the leash.

My last Basset didn't like a leash for a while until I lured her out with treats and she soon forgot she had a leash on!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
LOL! Umm... sorry sounds like a perfectly normal basset puppy to me! Our newest member is 12 weeks old... our 5th basset :p His first leash walk was spent fighting the leash... refusing to walk... and then running so fast I couldn't keep up...then sitting... carrying...running...perfectly normal! Basset puppies (maybe other breeds too) can't do long distances very well until they are a bit older- so generally short walks are best- We didn't even make it down the block this first time! Our first basset, Willie wailed and carried on so much the first time he was on a leash...the neighbors thought he was being hurt! You may try short walks about the yard at first... and then progress out to a park once his shots are current... Bassets love to walk...and do very well when bigger...ours love walks at the park, in the woods, mountains hiking, and just around the neighborhood! For now I would consider it an introduction to walking as opposed to a "walk". Bassets are not couch potatos...they can run very fast when it is in their best interest... ie chasing a rabbit or cat...and love long sniff and rambles on a walk a bout... Just give him time!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I agree, normal Basset puppy. Put the leash on and walk, the puppy will follow one way or another.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input. I just feel bad because i dont feel like he's getting enough exercise... the only thing I've found that he likes to do to exert any energy is to chase a big long stick in the yard. What sort of toys do bassets like that might keep him moving a bit?

If hes too young to be doing any walks now... at what age should I expect to be able to take him around the block?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Depends how big your block is. At 12 weeks he's plenty old enough for short walks.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Whew our Basset is 10 months now and we have the opposite issue, she about pulls your arm off. We have 3 dogs and their leashes hang by the front door, if you so much as look at the leashes they go nuts. They love to walk! My daughter has figured out the best thing to do with the Basset is get on her bike and ride up and down the street a couple times with Cannoli running beside her. After this initial burst of energy Cannoli will settle down and walk with some manners. It is funny, the dogs are outside in the yard for large parts of the day while we are at work and school, but going out the front door is so much more exciting than the back!!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I just put a leash on Boomer from the start, and practiced walking around our yard. After about a week, he caught on that the leash meant he could go outside of our yard, and cooperated quite well.

I also recommend getting a harness. It's much easier to walk Boomer with one, and the leash stays on top of his back and doesn't constantly get tangled in his legs. It took a while to get him used to putting one on, but now when he sees me getting it, he sits quietly while I put it on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts