Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My bassett, Angel, loves to eat rabbit turds. I know this sounds really gross. I think she finds it a delicatessen. The only problem is that when she eats the turds, she usually gets sick later in the day. She used to be able to handle this when she was younger, but now she is almost 10 and I don't think the rabbit turds agree with her tummy anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get her to stop eating these? We call her name, yell at her, etc., but she continues to search for these rabbit turds first thing every morning when she goes outside to empty her bladder. The only thing I can do now, is follow her around and when she starts eating them, I'll have to tug on her and try to get her to move to another spot. But you know bassets, they are extremely stubborn (but oh so cute).

Mom to Angel Mork

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
If she's been doing it for 10 years I doubt you'll stop her now. It's quite common for bassets to eat various sorts of turds (kitty krunchies seem to be a favourite) and, as with anything else they consider food, it's just about impossible to stop them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My oldest grew out of it (mostly) but the puppy (almost a year) is doing it too. Gross, but..... We live on a river so my kids get 'goose greese' if you know what I mean.
I I like the term "kitty krunchies". uck

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
The only way is to take her out on leash and only to a spot the rabbits don't visit. Avoid/manage the problem don't expect to train a different response especial given the years of training that has occured that reinforced the behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts