Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not know this so others may not as well. It may save your Basset one day.

1. Lift the upper or lower lip of your pet.

2. Observe the color of his gums or inner lip.

3. Look for a pinkish tone.

4. Know that whitish gums may indicate that your pet is anemic or in shock.

5. Understand that bluish gums may suggest your pet is not getting enough oxygen to his bloodstream - he may not be breathing properly or have a circulatory problem.

6. Realize that dark red or muddy-looking gums can indicate health problems as well.

7. Be sure to check non-pigmented areas if your breed of dog is one, like the chow chow, that has black pigment on the gum membranes.

8. Contact a veterinarian immediately if your pet exhibits any of these abnormalities.

A

·
0 Posts
I knew to look at the gums for signs of anemia but I didn't know it was a sign of shock. Maybe they shunt the blood to important parts like heart and lungs? thanks for the info. yvonne

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm impressed,Miss Emma's Daddy. Thank you for thinking of that issue.How in the world with all the experienced dog lovers ,breeders etc.did we not think of that. Job well done!

·
Registered
443 Posts
A common test for shock is to press the dog's gums for a few seconds with your fingertip, then release and count how many seconds it takes for the color to return. The color should come back in less than two seconds. Longer than that indicates shock or heart disease. This same test can be used for horses and people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts