Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bessi has diarrhea. She was fine yesterday with normal stools. On our walk last night she ate something b-4 I had a chance to see what it was. This morning she had some loose stool, but when I took her out again a few moments ago it was nothing but water. I have some Loperamide left that the vet gave me the last time she had diarrhea. I believe that is the same thing as imodium. Bessi was taking 2cc of the stuff from the vet, but I am almost out. I hate to spend $50 taking her to the vet when she just has a little diarrhea. What would the dosage of imodium be for her? She is 18 weeks old and 26.5 lbs.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have used immodium for my dogs before. I use one, and then later another one if the first doesn't work. I have never given more than two because it has always worked before that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I found at the store is pumpkin pie mix. It looks pumpkiny. It has sugar and other stuff that is probably not good for her.

Do they sell just the puree? I can't make it myself as I have been baned from the kitchen. I guess lighting the microwave on fire while making bagel bites is a bad thing? Actually....truth be told....it happened twice....right after I put the fire out I tried it again with the same result.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am not sure if this is true with dogs but I know for humans often it is best not to take anything for the first 24 hours if you have bacteria in your stomach it is best to get it out...If you take something it gives the bacteria a chance to grow more (yuck!)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yeah, let her get it out of her system, then give her some electolites and a lot of water along with an immodium. I usually just go by weight, and child doses when i give dogs medicine. (baby tylonol, or benadril, etc. haven't had to try immodium before)
You could try some pepto bismol first, if you're worried.

If she's had diarreah before, consider her food. Maybe she ate something bad once, but i know my beagle Daisy would throw up or get the runs for ANYTHING. she has been so sensitive. I changed her food to the high quality stuff, and she gets probiotics every now and then and that has made the difference.
So, rambling...give her some asodopholis/probiotics. A $6 dollar buy in the vitamin section for humans. It's the good bacteria in the intestine that eats the bad bacteria that causes stinky gas and indigestion.

Pumpkin is not an istant cure, i've found, more a long term thing. And you have to go to a dog store, or specialty store to usually find dehydrated pumpkin. i've found that probiotics work better, and are easier. lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
When flash ate the cats' food and got sick, the vet made us with hold food for 12 hours after the last loose stool. Then slowly reintroduce food a little bit at a time to make sure his tummy settled. I think we were able to give 2 tablespoons of food every 1 1/2 hours.

Of course, this caused some food issues, namely aggression. Also, the plain pumpkin should be by the pie mix you are looking at. BUT the last couple of years there have been shortages so it could be hard to find for you. I know last year some stores didn't get any until the end of October.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yes, definitely plain pureed pumpkin...not the pie business.

Jaleely is right on with the probiotics...they have made a world of difference in Annie. Up til now she gets a scoop or two of nonfat yogurt in the AM but I recently got Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes and Probiotics to try. I think it's a powder (haven't opened it yet). Hopefully it will work as well as the yogurt has been, if not I do not mind spending $2.99 on the 32 oz yogurt container that lasts 2 weeks. We will start the Animal Essentials stuff tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts