Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ernest is very active. We don't let him in the back yard so he has to be supervised for all his ablutional events. Maybe that will change once he's old enough to do the back stairs, but I sort of like the fact that we are getting exercise as well.

However, the boy can go, go, go and go.

In the morning we either go around a local walking trail/lake that is about 3 miles, he also gets a 40 minute walk at lunch, a 40 minute walk after work and then at least two more at night.

Today alone, he's gone over 4.5 miles (yes, I checked using mapmyrun.com).

Is he raring for more? Yuppers.

We are arranging some play dates for him to get some dog/dog fun, but most of his activity involves us walking or running him.

Are your dogs this active?

I'm training for another half marathon, so I don't mind, but to me its just amazing that he has so much energy.

lala

·
Registered
775 Posts
Wow! That is alot of walking and he's still ready to go!! Is he crated during the day when he isn't walking??? Stickers is VERY high energy. Rusty is active but not like her. We go for a mile walk in the morning and another mile before dinner. They still chase each other around the house during the day. We are home with them so they're not crated or confined. After about 20 minutes or so of play they both pass out for a nap. They probably have a dozen play sessions a day it seems!! It's funny how they pass out at the exact same moment!! If they don't go for their walks they are more playful in the house and alittle restless.

Sure sounds like your guy is FULL of energy!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! That is alot of walking and he's still ready to go!! Is he crated during the day when he isn't walking??? Stickers is VERY high energy. Rusty is active but not like her. We go for a mile walk in the morning and another mile before dinner. They still chase each other around the house during the day. We are home with them so they're not crated or confined. After about 20 minutes or so of play they both pass out for a nap. They probably have a dozen play sessions a day it seems!! It's funny how they pass out at the exact same moment!! If they don't go for their walks they are more playful in the house and alittle restless.

Sure sounds like your guy is FULL of energy!![/b]
He's crated during the day in the car or he's in the car and we walk him at lunch and right after work and sometimes for a quick pee and sniff around 2.

He stays at home if its too cold or too hot.

He runs around at home too. He just doesn't have Stickers to run around with. Are you willing to relocate to Seattle?

lala

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, even on the weekends, when we're around or if one of us teleworks, he still goes on 5 miles worth a walks a day.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ernest went to the dogpark today for a basset meet up. He ran for 90 minutes straight with many labs, bassets and larger active dogs. I think he thinks he's a retriever.

He came home and promptly wanted to go on a walk. :blink:

I'm more tired than him.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bogie is very high energy as well. We walk him about three miles a day, weather permitting, once in the morning and once late afternoon, plus romps in the yard and the Bassset 500 in the house several times a day. He'll grab a toy and off the goes zooming around the den table through the kitchen, around the dining room table and back . He'll do this until he's really panting, stops drops the toy, and crawls in his bed for a nap. Walking outside has been a real challenge with the snow and below zero temps lately, so we spend time tossing toys and playing chase in the house. He loves romping in the snow, but the back yard has glazed over after a round of freezing rain on top of the snow and, he can barely walk out there now. The only time he is crated is if we leave the house for over an hour. He still noses into things he shouldn't if left by himself for longer times. We are gradually working up to no crate, but he'll go in his crate and snooze by himself, kinda his safehaven I guess. He has other dog beds to use, but prefers the crate. Our first Basset was a total couch potato, but not Mr. Bogart.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Snoopy is, (as we say in Boston) "wicked hypah' (hyper).

I've taken him on 3 - 5 mile runs but he gets so excited that at times I'm sprinting next to him. People at doggie daycare say that he's the most energetic dog they have . He's usually there for 8 - 10 hours twice a week. He will still play when he gets home. He's still only 16 months so I wonder how much longer this will last. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts