Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as some may know, I am new to this Basset Mania thing. Bessie turns 5 weeks on Thursday and I get to visit her. Then only a few more weeks and we get to take her home!

So, on to my question......Drool

From what I read in the forum and see in the several Basset books that I have purchased....Bassets do drool......Ok stop laughing! Like I said, I am a new to the wacky wild world of Bassets. I can't quite get a grip on how much they drool however. When I visit Bessie at the breeder, I do not notice the mom or dad drooling.

Am I in for a Turner and Hooch (1989 Tom Hanks movie) kind of drool??

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi I'm no expert since Paisley our 3 year old is our first basset but I don't think they drool all the time. At least Paisley dosen't. She will drool when we have something that smells good to her -- like the Sunday roast -- won't leave the kitchen while its in the oven -- gotta guard it in case it escapes but only drools when we are cutting it. She does drool everyday on my foot while I am eating lunch -- not on my husbands foot and never during dinner and only on my right foot at that and not when I'm eating just stinky things. I figure she is peckish around lunch and would like a bite to tide her over until her dinner time and usually she gets a bite of whatever I have. Seems to me that the people who say that bassets are drooley and stink have never owned a basset anyway whats a little drool between you and your best friend???

·
Registered
166 Posts
Drool

No. nothing like the movie. You will however benefit from NOT standing anywhere near perpendicular when the hound shakes his head. Drool and slobber tends to get slung a bit. Lollypop drools most when she watches us eat. If you happen to live in a cool climate, you may be amused by "droolsickles" a phenomenon I witnessed on a particularly cold day (-5 fahrenheit). Keeping a towel handy, you will learn, makes life a bit easier at times! Good luck! You are in for a real treat, bassets are wonderful beings.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Mine only drool when you're eating something they really like. It really not too bad. They most get droolie after they eat/drink and if they've been panting a lot.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LOL! Annie doesn't drool all the time. She drools alot when there is alot to sniff on our walks, when she knows I have a treat for her, and at feeding times. She also drips alot after drinking, but I call it dripping, not drooling...even though it sometimes looks drool-ish. And as someone said above, try to steer clear when they do a head shake else you'll be touched (literally) by the mystery of the magical time and space bending slobber. "That is one magical loogey"~ Seinfeld :) Annie is also not opposed to coming in for what appears to be a loving snuggle but in reality turns out to be her way of wiping her mouth on me.

Sometimes annoying and gross, but it's a Basset Hound...they rock!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Depends on the dog, I suppose. Molly drools when she is excited or has been doing a lot of sniffing on walks. After a drink, they all are quite wet and that's of course when they want to cuddle and give kisses. Ahh jowl juice...you'll learn to love it (or at least live with it). Bassets aren't as gross as is often claimed. Perhaps the myth was created by a cat. Can you tell I was just reading Jowls of Fury?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ha ha Annie, yes it's true... we do rock!

Person's not sure if bassets get more drooly the older they get?
but right now at 11 months, only sometimes when i'm hungry and see food. just a few strands every now and then. maybe not even daily.

hee hee. but my person has apologized a couple times when i flung, more like spit than drool, on people petting me or people i'm standing next to when i shake..!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Am I in for a Turner and Hooch (1989 Tom Hanks movie) kind of drool??
Not typical but possible, bassets don't drool or sling drool as much as made out especial females which then to be dried mouths. Personbally I dount consider slinging water after drinking drooling even though some silivia is certainly mixed in ax well I also don't really consider the puddle that occurs while admiring your sandwich drool as such because that is omething that will occur with any breed.

Toughy was not so much a drooler but a drool slinger when he had a build up he had to sling it this was especial noticable at the start of physical activity. warming up for agility etc. If he had not covered somebody nearby in slime he was not yet ready to run. As a young pup he was certainly not in the turner in hooch catagory after he had a molar removed it was a lot closer.

A few year back toughy had an advocate at "clean Run" (magazine dedi ated to dog agility" that happend to be the designer, that work dilligently at tring to get him on the cover. Alas the honor eventual went to a basset on the west coast, not for a want of trying, but litteral out of thousand of photos there was never one without him having drool coming out his mouth or a piece wraped around his snout or ears

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Mine don't drool so much as they "fling spit". After they shake their heads, you will find it adorning your furniture, walls, appliances, and possibly ceiling. The stuff is industrial strength and difficult to remove.

I recall once being told of a basset flinging spit and having it land in a guest's coffee.

And there is the inevitable trail from the water bowl.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Flinging is a good term for it. In addition to flinging (usually after coming in from outside or after drinking water), Lightning drools when he's nervous. Now that he's "older" (read: very old) and has lost some teeth, he drools much more since there are gaps in his drool dam. It's very annoying, so take care of your pup's teeth!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all!

The books say to put their ears up in some sort of bonnet (I am sure that there is a technical name for it) when they eat. Does anyone really do that?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
am sure that there is a technical name for it
snood show breeder will do this but it more than just while eating but this is usually done after being groomed for the ring than as a every day occurance. OI is simply must easier to use a bowl that keeps the ears dry and out of the food. Personally i would avoid plasic bowls because of the prevelence of {Plasitic bowl dermatis) My self you can't go wrong with a Stainless steel Spanial bowl. This bowl as a wide base and narrow top sort of shaped like a valcano which keep the ears out of the bowl.

Base measures 10 inches in diameter; bowl is 4 inches high overall. Actual bowl opening is 5 3/4 inches in diameter and about 3 inches deep. This design is made long-eared dogs.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
The stuff is industrial strength and difficult to remove.
My sister use to get so upset at toughy. Her favorite cat use to sleep in a basket at the top of the stairs. As a mourning routine Toughy gave the cat a thurough morning tongue bath. In minutes the cat dried to a hard crackly crunch, Much stiffer and stronger holding with more shine than any hairspray or stying mousse on the same par as super glue.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I recall once being told of a basset flinging spit and having it land in a guest's coffee.
Good way to ensure that a guest you don't care for won't be coming back to visit! :p

Boomer doesn't drool much, no more than I do when I'm sleeping hard and wake up in a puddle of drool on my pillow. And the trails of water from the dish don't bother me in the least.

Having raised 3 kids (1 left at home for another year), Boomer is a lot cleaner than them! ;)

·
Registered
767 Posts
My two don't seem to drool at all. Maybe because they are both girls like Mikey T said. I think maybe because it's not ladylike LOL. They do make a mess at the water bowl sometimes though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mikey you made me laugh!!!!! The cat bathing is a daily thing at our house and yes the remains are industrial strength. When our Siamese was a small kitten his fur started to turn pink from all the slobber. He is much better now at washing his neck and is no longer pink. We call his daily basset bath his daily SLIME. Maybe we have something going here --- we can bottle it up and sell it as super mousse to the local hairdressers -- you're right its better than the stuff they sell the punk-rockers!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Spit happens!

·
Registered
761 Posts
When Doppler and Virga start really rough housing or they're playing with their other dog friends, all the other dogs EXCEPT Doppler end up all gross from spit. Which leads me to believe that Doppler is the culprit. He's not drooly otherwise. But my husband's basset growing up would constantly be slinging drool on the tv, the walls, and the floors. After he died they were still finding bits of his drool on the walls and the floors as they started moving furniture around. So it's virtually indestructible once it dries.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts