Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Well I'm not sure if that is too much but My Mollie is 9months and she is 46lbs. But my Mollie is a very long basset and she isn't a real big boned one either. So compared to my other basset Mollie looks long and skinny. I wouldn't think that is bad depending on her build.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Copper is also a long basset and he wighed 47lbs when he was 7 months.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can't really compare. I have two males that are very very active and eat a lot.
At 6 months Dozer weighed 44 lbs, at 9 months he was 51 lbs. He has stayed in the mid 50's since his last checkup, and my Vet said he was a little on the thin side.
I also feed canned with dry. I have a "country" Vet, and she doesn't push Vet brand dog foods, as long as I stay away from store brands.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by Mollie and Maggie:
Well I'm not sure if that is too much but My Mollie is 9months and she is 46lbs. But my Mollie is a very long basset and she isn't a real big boned one either. So compared to my other basset Mollie looks long and skinny. I wouldn't think that is bad depending on her build.
Miss Emma is the same way. At nine months she looks skinny and weighs 43 lbs..

B

·
0 Posts
Oh, my! Byron is 9 months and he is only 37 pounds. He is very active though and doesn't look thin. Maybe he is just a little guy. On his last visit to the vet, no one said he was too thin.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I guess there is no normal weight. It depends how big your basset is. Some bassets have smaller built and some bassets have bigger built.

My hubby describes our 2 bassets like trucks. Henrietta is a Toyota Tacoma and Winston is like Ford F350 diesel!

I think it is better to feed your dog the dry dog food. It supposed to clean their teeth and makes it stronger.

A

·
0 Posts
Lucy is 6 months and she was weighed today at the vet and came in at 25 lbs. She is not skinny and she eats 2 1/2 cups of dry and wet food mixed per day.....plus treats. Guess she is just keeping her girlish figure eh ?

[ February 08, 2006, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Lucy & Ethel's Dad ]

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
"I guess there is no normal weight. It depends how big your basset is. Some bassets have smaller built and some bassets have bigger built."

exactly the only way to access such is by body condition.

see:Purina Body condition Chart

Keep in mind most owners assign lower number to their dog than professionals like vets do so IMHO it is better to shoot/aim for a 4 rather than 5.

Purina® Study Confirms Link Between Body Fat and Certain Health Conditions
"Other Purina research found that most owners couldn't accurately assess their dogs' body conditions. When owner and expert scores were compared, only 28 percent of owners characterized their pets as above ideal body condition, while 79 percent of the experts scored those same animals to be above ideal body condition. Dr. Larson says this gap is serious because pet owners are not likely to recognize that their pets are overweight and even moderate excess body fat may lead to problems."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Columbo is 5 months and he is already over 40lbs but i was warned he was going to be a big boy. Too be honest i like the chunky look in him. I was told by the breeder that up until they are a year not to worry too much about over feeding as they need alot of food while growing.

A

·
0 Posts

When we got Bogie in mid January, at eight months he weighed 41 pounds. He is thirteen inches tall (measured from floor to withers, hummm that's on a horse -the spot where the neck meets the back) and measures 48" from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail. Hubby measured him while he was laying down and stretched out. He's one loooonnnngggg Basset when laying down.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I should have mention above when I said you can't really compare. There are differences even in the same litter. Dozer was the largest in his litter, 12 lbs at 8 weeks. The next one was 10 lbs, and the runt was almost half Dozer's weight, at 7 lbs.
The Vet told me that Dozer could have a healthy weight of 70-75 lbs by the time he fills out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts