Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ringo is 5 or 6ish and sleeps ALL THE TIME! I swear he sleeps for about 20 hours a day. He LOVES to go on a walks and to the dog park but if I didn't do those things with him I'm fairly certain he would be content to just sleep all day. The only time he is pretty awake and excited is when I get home from work, but after I let the dogs out to potty if I go inside and sit down Ringo will almost always curl up next to me and go back to sleep.

Ella is the complete opposite, she only sleeps when I make her pretty much :p She is only 1 and very energetic and always wants to be doing something and gets restless in the house pretty quickly and when I get home from work she is pretty much psycho for about 3 hours :D

So I'm just wondering...how much do your bassets sleep? Think Ringo is sleeping too much?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'd say Anabelle sleeps 23.9 hours a day :p

In actuality she really does sleep at least 21 hours a day. Some of it I'm sure she is just relaxing and not actually sleeping, but she doesn't exercise unless we force her to. We have an orthopedic gel dog bed in the middle of our living room where we spend the majority of our time home and she stays there from 8 am to 10 pm, waking up to eat and get attention.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Cannoli is almost a year old and she is pretty active, but her active periods are punctuated with long naps. It's not just her though, our two mixed breeds nap on pretty much the same schedule.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My husband is first up every day and walks them early, then they have a nap before breakfast. They all sleep for about three or four hours as soon as they have been fed, every morning without fail, which suits me fine because I work 9 -1 on two mornings so I know that when I am out, they probably aren't even aware of it and I always leave the radio on for them.

I walk them at lunch time, and then after I've eaten, they rest again (they always rest or play together, if one sleeps/plays, they both sleep/play) or we have a play with balls, catch, chase etc and then they sleep again or lay out in the hall or in the garden if I am sitting out there with a book or paper. I feed them again at teatime before we eat, and after an hour or so, when their tummies have settled, hubby and I walk them together and then they sleep yet again while we watch TV or occasionally go to a concert etc.

Edit: My neighbour has a key to my house and as she's oldish, she sometimes comes and sits with them for a while with her book and treats for them, and she 'babysits' them when we go out as they keep her company and she said they mostly are asleep... so they seem to sleep whether or not we're in the house!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I guess Ringo is just a normal ole basset then :) I just hope Ella has that trait in her when she gets older ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lollypop sleeps but a mere 10 hours a day. Maybe because she's only 16 months? She can tear around ALL DAY LONG and is constantly badgering me to play or walk. After a long walk she will sleep for about an hour before she's ready to go again! One thing seems constant though and that is the 1.5 hour nap post breakfast. Will she out grow this and want to sleep more some day?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nitro, who is not quite 4 months old, sleeps at least 20 hours a day. He gets up to play, eat, and do his business. Best times of the day with him are first thing in the morning and right before crate time a night. He will lay on me and lick me in his sleep. It is so funny. He is starting to snore now too, so that is exciting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hear mine go out the dog door about 5:30am........some where around 6:30 they move back into the house. Unless it's really cold and they pop right back in. Then move into the hall next to my bedroom and wait till the alarm goes off at 7:00. When they charge into the bedroom and poke me with a cold wet nose. They dance around, pretty well underfoot... till they get breakfast. Then they dance around, pretty well underfoot till I take them walking. After a hour walk it is time for mid morning nap. About noon they stir back to life......often have a play fight or chase each other in and out the dog door. This is usually a short burst of energy. Then it is time for mid day nap. About 3pm they stir to life again and start bugging me for supper. After supper at 4:00, they dance around, pretty well underfoot till I take them for a stroll over to the park or a short walk. They tag along behind me either to the shop or my home office....drifting in and out of sleep at either location. Then about 8pm Belle, who is 6 years old, goes to bed. Emma who is 2 usually hangs around till about 10pm when she goes to bed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Snickers sleeps in the morning after the kids have gone off to school and is asleep all day unless she is out to potty, but then she also has a bed on the lanai and when I go to let her in, she is sleeping and doesn't always want to get up and come inside. She wakes when the kids get home and stays attentive most of the evening, though is laying somewhere nearby and is very close at hand during snacktime and dinner. She is the most active in the evening right before bed when she and Pinkie the pekignese have their play time, racing through the kitchen/family room and sliding on the floor, lol. She is still just a pup though...but maybe Pinkie will keep her active:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gwenny is 8 months and she only sleeps about two hours a day. She is extremely energetic. Once 7-8 pm rolls along, she is out until morning time. Gwen doesn't have many basset traits, so she is far from "laid back basset".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts