Basset Hounds Forum banner

How longs should my pups walks be?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MomosMum 
#1 ·
Ringo has been walking now for almost 3 weeks. We do short walks really, they are only around the block but with his nose and stubbornness we can take up to 30 mins to literally go around the corner and back. I spoke to somebody yesterday who said that bassets should only be walked up to 5 mins per month of age... while I understand bassets are still growing etc a 15 min walk would barely reach the top of my street and would result in Ringo still full of energy and therefore pondering around my house and garden. (Still walking). I'm basically wondering how long should I be walking my pup? I believe he will be 15 weeks next week.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh God, I soooo want another Basset - looking at that lad upsets me because at my age, and other reasons, I've had my last. :cry: Just look at that FACE. If anybody thinks this breed is dumb they are so wrong. He's lying there calculating his next step and what mischief he can get away with. I'm glad to see you have a baby gate - stairs are a no-no for the young hound, especially coming down.

There are others who disagree, but best practice is not to do much organised road walking until the pup is at least 6 months. Just off lead ambling around in a safe area (park or field) or on the lead going to the kerb to get used to the sights and sounds of the outside world. Once 6 months, then you can gradually build up how much organlsed (again) exercise so hopefully, by the time the hound reaches a year old, or thereabouts, he should still be 'sound' and ready to do whatever you want to do with him. A lot depends on how heavy-boned your puppy is but I'd always recommend keeping to the less to avoid growing problems

Your breeder should have given you a list of dos and don'ts as I did with my new buyers.

#3 ·
the answer is simply this no one has a clue as to what kind how much or how strenuous ideally should be for any puppy. Oh opinion abound most of them without an evidentiary basis. this is what we do know, Too much exercise is bad, Too little exercise is just as bad or even worse. As long as you are not reaching a point of exhaustion you are probably fine. but in the end you have to go with your best Judgement,

"The research evidence, then, really does not provide anything like a definitive answer to questions about the effects of exercise in growing puppies. Common sense suggests that forcing a dog to exercise heavily when it does not wish to is not a good idea. Likewise, puppies sometimes have more enthusiasm than sense and can exercise to the point of heat exhaustion, blistered footpads, and other damage that may be less obvious. Therefore, a general principle of avoiding forced or voluntary extreme exercise is reasonable, but specific and absolute statements about what kind of exercise is allowed, what surfaces puppies should or should not exercise on, and so forth is merely opinion not supported by objective data. Such opinions may very well be informed by personal experience, and they may be reliable, but any opinion not founded on objective data must always be taken with a grain of salt and accepted provisionally until such data is available."

#4 ·
the answer is simply this no one has a clue as to what kind how much or how strenuous ideally should be for any puppy. Oh opinion abound most of them without an evidentiary basis. this is what we do know, Too much exercise is bad, Too little exercise is just as bad or even worse. As long as you are not reaching a point of exhaustion you are probably fine. but in the end you have to go with your best Judgement,

"The research evidence, then, really does not provide anything like a definitive answer to questions about the effects of exercise in growing puppies. Common sense suggests that forcing a dog to exercise heavily when it does not wish to is not a good idea. Likewise, puppies sometimes have more enthusiasm than sense and can exercise to the point of heat exhaustion, blistered footpads, and other damage that may be less obvious. Therefore, a general principle of avoiding forced or voluntary extreme exercise is reasonable, but specific and absolute statements about what kind of exercise is allowed, what surfaces puppies should or should not exercise on, and so forth is merely opinion not supported by objective data. Such opinions may very well be informed by personal experience, and they may be reliable, but any opinion not founded on objective data must always be taken with a grain of salt and accepted provisionally until such data is available."
Cheers mate. This helps. 👍👍👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.