Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who've had their hounds from puppyhood to old age, how long did it take them to reach their full adult size? We've had Rosco for about 6 months now and he is 8-9 months old. He was really tiny when my wife brought him home at 8 weeks and he is roughly 45 pounds now. His dad was really big, around 70 pounds, so he has the potential to get that large. But his weight has been around 40-45 pounds since early August. I was just wondering if they hit a plateau for awhile. We feed him twice a day according to the dog food bag's recommendation by weight, and sometimes he doesn't eat all his food but he doesn't lack for energy so I know I'm not starving him. I'd be interested in hearing how all your hounds grew up.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning seemed to reach his adult height at about a year. But it took him a good two years to fill out. He was quite thin as a puppy and young adult. Now I have to watch his weight like a hawk (he's 12 now).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rufus is 8 months old as well, and he's been at 40-45 lbs for several months too. He gets fed three times a day still, but has no problem inhaling it each and every time like it's his last meal ever. He's starting to fill out a little, and both of his parents were large dogs with the male being nearly 80lbs and the female close to 70lbs, neither of which looked overweight to me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mattie was at her full height by a year. It took about another year for her to fill out. And then it took about 3 years for the puppy to come out of her. Now she just has big snowflakes, where she runs through the house with her toys for about 5 to 10 minutes and then she just flops down for a 4 hour nap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I rehomed Basil at around 8 to 9 months and although i was told he was a puppy, when i saw him he was much larger than i thought a Basset puppy would be at that age! At 22/23 months now he is much wider than he was when we first met, i think he is longer too but its the bulk that i notice mostly.

He still has a way to go as when we come across slightly older Bassets then Basil suddenly looks the youngest there, he is longer or at least as long as the others but he doesnt yet have that older Basset 'fullness'. He has been around a younger Basset of about 8 months and so he has definately grown if i compare him to the younger one.

Unfortunately i never met his parents as he was rehomed however, i suspect he is going to be a very large lad as he has a lot of excess skin to still fill and is very broad across the sholders.

Nat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts