Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that live where it gets pretty cold in the winter, how long of walks do you take your bassets on?

This is my first winter with Ringo and my first winter with Ella not as a pup and I'm not sure how long of walks to go on if its pretty cold out. How do you tell when they are cold on walks?

On our walk yesterday once in the middle of it Ella started lifting one of her paws like it was hurt (which I assume meant it was cold or had some snow stuck on it) but then she stopped after about 15 seconds and didn't do it again.

I'm in Iowa and it gets pretty cold in winter so I'm not sure how long of walks they can go on without getting too cold. Yesterday the high temp was the high teens or lower twentys and I took them for a 45min walk around 4:30pm and I know I was freezing when we got home but I have no clue if Ella or Ringo was cold! :confused:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Last year I walked Lollypop almost everyday anywhere between an hour and 2 hours. Sometimes 3 miles, sometimes 5 miles. In MA in the dead of winter it can be pretty cold. Sometimes near zero with plenty of snow on the ground. She has never showed any discomfort at all and loves the snow!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts