Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I've spelt it wrong, Bella is now on antibiotics, Probiotics and antacid after a nasty spell of Giardia, caught in the local park, it would be so nice if dog walkers were prewarned about it, seeing as she's not the only one.

Normally she picks up pretty quickly after a bout of bad tummy, but this time has really knocked her, in saying that it panicked me when she started pooping blood!! Panicked even more when I heard how much an out of hours vet was going to cost us.

She's still really quiet, she is eating and drinking but not herself, she started with it Tuesday, vets Tuesday night, meds ever since. How long to wait before I go back to the vets if she doesn't pick up??

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
It takes a while , however never seen bloody diarrhea with giardia Soft wax stools light/yellow stool. It is estimated 50% or more dogs are carriers and never show any symptoms.

Parasitic Diarrhea (Giardiasis) in Dogs | petMD
"In some cases, dogs will exhibit diarrhea that is soft, frothy, greasy, and with a strong, awful odor or excessive mucus."

never seen bloody diarrhea associated with it
Giardia canis in Dogs
"Veterinarians do not even agree on how common Giardia infections are and when they should be treated. Generally, it is believed that infection with Giardia is common but disease is rare. There is much about the life cycle we do not know either. ... The feces are often abnormal, being pale, having a bad odor, and appearing greasy. In the intestine, Giardia prevents proper absorption of nutrients, damages the delicate intestinal lining, and interferes with digestion."

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
ours began to show improvement shortly after beginning treatment.

had a beagle once with bloody diarrhea once, treated with flagyl but don't recall it being giardia

the bassets all have had giardia (and c-diff) responded very well and quickly

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Sorry if I've spelt it wrong, Bella is now on antibiotics, Probiotics and antacid after a nasty spell of Giardia, caught in the local park, it would be so nice if dog walkers were prewarned about it, seeing as she's not the only one.

Normally she picks up pretty quickly after a bout of bad tummy, but this time has really knocked her, in saying that it panicked me when she started pooping blood!! Panicked even more when I heard how much an out of hours vet was going to cost us.

She's still really quiet, she is eating and drinking but not herself, she started with it Tuesday, vets Tuesday night, meds ever since. How long to wait before I go back to the vets if she doesn't pick up??
Frankie came to us, at 4 months with this although apart from his bad stools, he certainly wasn't sick. This was my first experience with this and I wasn't impressed when a fecal test came back showing Giardia, and roundworm eggs! This from 'reputable breeder' who I'd known for years. He was given a strong dose of Panacur which, from a second fecal test, hadn't worked. So he was given Metronidazole which did, but it took probably 4 fecal testing before we got a negative one. And even then as I now understand it, although most of the protozoa would be killed, some will burrow into the gut and remain dormant unless the animal is under stress when it can flare again. So far, so good with him.

However, for a long time afterwards, although again he was still otherwise well, his stools were firm and normal at the start of the day, but far from that by the end. I was too and from the vet before one of the vets from a sister practice saw him one Saturday, gave him an antiinflammatory inj. and suggested he had a course of Hills I/D and then go onto a home-made fish and mashed potato diet. The improvement was instant. I switched him to a commercial fish and potato diet which he was on for some years before I ventured a switch. He and his companion are now on a Tripe and Rice diet made by Pooch & Co (UK) and so far, again, so good. I only switched because the original makers reduced the size of their bags but kept the same price! This current food comes in the original 15 kg size, and is cheaper - delivered to my door.

I'd need to see a good response after 48 hours, max. to treatment. So if she was mine, I'd be back to the vet, before the weekend certainly. I see no reason why she should be showing blood in her stool. And take a sample of her stool with you to be checked again.

ps Giardia can be picked up via standing water - check your outside area and dump any you find. This is why I know Franks came to us WITH Giardia - it was February and everything outside was frozen. I had my Whippet checked and she was clear.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Back to her usual bossy self this morning,

thanks for the replies, I was getting a bit worried, but she's been hassling us at the treat drawer all morning, spitting out her meds and just being her totally awkward self.

Franks mum, Bella is on the same meds as Frank was, though the vet never actually took a sample, I just assumed seeing as he said that it was Gairdia, and that there's been a few cases in dogs that walk in the same park as us, I assumed the vet knew what he was talking about. He did want to keep her in and take samples and put her on fluids, but because she was keeping fluids down and was doing the circle dance at the vets door I took her home, even though the vet was correct when he said I would have a messy and sleepless night.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Franks mum, Bella is on the same meds as Frank was, though the vet never actually took a sample, I just assumed seeing as he said that it was Gairdia, and that there's been a few cases in dogs that walk in the same park as us, I assumed the vet knew what he was talking about. He did want to keep her in and take samples and put her on fluids, but because she was keeping fluids down and was doing the circle dance at the vets door I took her home, even though the vet was correct when he said I would have a messy and sleepless night.
It's up to you, but for my own satisfaction, I had Frankie's stools tested after his first medication (the Panacur) and it came back positive too. So he was switched to the Metronidazole. I then had him tested and started getting negative results. BUT I have several fecal tests done, to be absolutely certain he should be clear. Just a caution, from what I read up on, because I'd never had this in my hounds until buying Frankie (!!), you can get negative results if they are not 'shedding'. And again with the burrowing into the gut. As humans can get this unless observing struct hygiene, I wasn't leaving any of this to chance. And as said, I had my Whippet tested too!! Not that it did the grass much good, I used Jeyes Fluid on the places he'd had a BM, for quite some time.

Not to be critical of your vet (much!) I'd never treat unless it was needed, and I knew what was needing to be treated!! If she was mine, I'd take a stool sample in next week, and get him to run a fecal, for normal worms, and Giardia, Coccidia, Salmonella. Then you'll know she's clear (at the moment!).

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_multi_giardiasis

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, I've been so meticulous with picking up the garden and bleaching the areas she's been that my grass is dying, and my family are moaning that the smell of bleach in the house has made their eyes water.

Today is the first day she's been out for a walk, but I'm keeping her away from where other dogs may be, living out in the middle of nowhere has it's advantages sometimes. Just a shame hubby decided to take her to the park last week, he said she went paddling and drank from the lake there, so I'm thinking that's maybe where she's picked it up.

Interesting what you said about shedding as soon as this started she started shedding like mad, even though she had a major moult about 3 weeks ago, which is unusual. I'll see how we go on this week and take a sample in to the vets I think you're right in that it's better to know than not know.

She's turned her nose up at her usual food this morning, she looked up at me when she got to the bowl I could read her mind, "Where's the Chicken??????"

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Interesting what you said about shedding as soon as this started she started shedding like mad, even though she had a major moult about 3 weeks ago, which is unusual.
Shedding CYSTS which appear in the fecal tests. Not moulting!! Google Shedding Giardia (cysts).

Also Frankie had a mild amount of 'blood' showing in his stools early on.

From Pet Health Library - "Giardia shed organisms intermittently and may be difficult to detect. Sometimes pets must be retested in order to find an infection."

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohhhhh I see now rofl, I can be so blonde sometimes and in my defence I do have a terrible headcold, brought on no doubt by the stress of the last week without any sleep for 2 nights.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Ohhhhh I see now rofl, I can be so blonde sometimes and in my defence I do have a terrible headcold, brought on no doubt by the stress of the last week without any sleep for 2 nights.
Apologies for pulling you up but I felt it worth mentioning....... we all have to (keep) learn. I know I still am, and sometimes I feel I'm not winning, even having been 'with Basset' since our first in 1972

Sympathies if you have the same 'bug' that's been doing the rounds down here on the N.Cornwall coast. It started with a raging sore throat and skipped the head cold, going to a COUGH. Worrying with my sig.other who has asthma. It seems virtually everybody has had it, or has it and it lasts at least 3 weeks :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts