Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Bowser finds an interesting smell, he stuffs his nose right on the spot, holds it there for a few seconds, and then lifts and does it again. He doesn't move smoothly along sniffing or inhaling....he presses his big nose on the spot and stares at it cross eyed : )

·
Registered
761 Posts
We've caught Virga doing this from time to time. It's so funny! Doppler will sometimes drag his nose along the ground sniffing. Like seriously dragging it. And it's usually accompanied by a huge sneeze afterwards.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This is another good topic! Annie makes our 2-3 mile walk into an hour event due to the sniffing that must be done. And the gliding across the sidewalk from tree to grass, then back to tree, ad nauseum. The nose goes into the smell, if it's hidden then the nose goes deep, if it is a superficial smell (poop) then she allows like 2 inches between nose and specimen, if it might be a bone or food particle (or cat poop) then she goes in with the mouth. She knows what is coming next. My hand on her collar and a stern "Drop it!" The item usually drops at this point. What cracks me up is when she is smelling something and I can actually see her nose moving. Pretty impressive actually.

In two of the pictures Annie is showcasing the "nose IN the ground" approach to sniffing. In the third she is doing a general sweep for snacks. The fourth is from today, ever the vigilant hunter...I had to point the ducks out for her. Lucky ducks, they waddled back to the water just before Annie scaled the 6 foot fence...NOT.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Princess Buttercup sniffs the same stuff everyday! At the high school she's always trolling for skittles! She found one as a puppy one day in the hallway & went back to the scene of the crime the next day & rolled where the skittle was!! Must have been really TASTY!! I will never forget plucking it from her jowls with green drool spewing out both sides of her mouth!! Yummy!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ella will do the same thing as Bowser, she presses her nose real hard onto the spot then blows out of her nose real loud, lifts up her nose, then presses it back down with big loud sniff

Since there is snow everywhere now Ella has to stick her head halfway in the snow to get the same effect, she is a loud sniffer and very sparatic with her smelling.

Ringo sniffs more like a tracking hound, he gets down and stays down walking as fast as he can to get the smells. With the snow he will smell a spot then start digging with his big ole paw and then smell and then dig and smell and dig....and by dig I mean just moving the snow around.

To test their sense of smell when they are sleeping I like to hold a treat up to their nose to see how long it takes them to realize it's there, its pretty funny :p

·
Registered
761 Posts
To test their sense of smell when they are sleeping I like to hold a treat up to their nose to see how long it takes them to realize it's there, its pretty funny :p
We do the same thing!!! That's providing we can get to them without waking them up. It's really funny to watch their noses move while they're still sleeping and then having them wake up and eat their treat.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm totally trying the wake up treat trick tonight!! We played hide & seek with treats only once! For weeks she kept going to the spots where we hid the treats, over & over again!

·
Registered
761 Posts
We also hide treats around the living room when they're both outside and see which one gets the most treats. It's a pretty even split usually but sometimes Virga sniffs them out faster than Doppler can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The first time audrey ever smelled pizza was incredible... the pizza guy dropped it off and we set it on the coffee table and it was like she just was overcame with the smell... we could not pull her away from the box and she went crazy....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cotton is a total sweeper. He jams his nose onto whatever it is he's smelling (unless its poop), and runs his whole snout back and forth, and woe to whatever is in his path because it gets knocked around.

This is especially funny to watch with bills on the coffee table and a treat underneath, everything goes flying!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh I am definitely hiding treats while Watson is outside tomorrow!! What a fun game!! He's a big time sniffer. I can't wait to see if he can hunt them all down!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts