Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've stated many, many times before I'm a very fortunate person. I'm 50, single, and attending school full time and my parents and siblings and their families have been supportive beyond belief and I never would have made it this far without them. When Francis was hospitalized last year for his glaucoma I got calls from everyone telling me not to base any decisions on finances. Do what needed to be done and they'd help me out! Now how fortunate is that?!?
Well, over the Christmas holidays my 12 year old car died and I was in deep weeds. My parents bought me a beautiful new car that sits far higher up off the ground than my old car and there lies the problem. I have to pick up Francis to get him in the car ;) ? Any and all ideas will be entertained. I have a four door sedan that's not an S.U.V.....HELP!!!!

[ February 13, 2006, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have trained Lou to put his front paws on the back of the SUV (I have a Ford Escape)...then I pick up the hind legs and he kind of wheelbarrows it in! LOL! It is pretty funny and I should take a look at a ramp for him...75 lbs is not easy to pick up, especially with how LONG he is! LOL!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our Lab has always been able to get into our SUVs. Molly just sits and looks at me, waiting for me to pick her up and place her dainty body in the car....She is after all a princess :)
Jennifer

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think everyone misunderstood me I don't have an SUV. I have a sedan. Do they make ramps for sedans?

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
If it can be used on an suv can be used on a shorter sedan the question is is it small enough to store in the trunk.

It also help to train the dogs to get on the floor first then the seat instead of trying for the seat from the ground. All mine never had a problem geting in a car cept Toughy he allway would put his two front feet on the sill and you would have to lift the butt end.

pet smart

UltraLIGHT PET STAIRS Home/Car CATS DOGS Arthritis Aid

Short Suitcase Pet Ramp
"The short suitcase dog ramp is the perfect loading tool for your dog or pet into low areas that do not require the length of our full size dog ramps. With its quality, attractive light weight aluminum design this dog ramp weighs in at only 7 lbs and has a built in handle that allows it to be carried like a suitcase. This dog ramp is so easy to operate that it can be deployed in seconds and its versatile attaching lip works great for attaching to almost any flat surface."

Dogramp.com Side Kick Dog Ramp"GEAR OF THE YEAR" AWARD WINNER! The Dogramp.com Side Kick Pet Ramp was awarded the "best all around value" by Your Dog magazine."

·
Registered
70 Posts
What we used until we happened to win one of those ramps in a basset raffle, was just a few pieces of lumber wide. In my opinion just using the treated wood was better, as it was cheaper, worked just as well and took about the same amount of time as setting up the ramp. Just a suggestion if you want something a little less expensive, **BUT** be sure you get wood that is thick enough to support your precious hound, we did not make that mistake and I don't want anyone else to either.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I boost. First the front end goes up. Then the back end goes up. We wouldn't want Moe to risk damaging what's left of his manhood on a failed jump attempt (ouch!). Same technique to get him into the shotgun seat.

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got my 2003 Subaru Forester (in 2002) for 3 reasons: It had heated seats (we were living in Bassetchusetts at the time), it was rated the highest in Consumer Reports and I was able to heave Ruby into the backseat after she gets her front legs in there. Of course I walk like Quasimodo afterwards.....

They do have ramps for all kinds of cars. I know Drs and Smith has them in their catalog but they're expensive. Ruby would be scared to death of something like this or else we would have already gotten it for her.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The way I've worked it for the past 6 years reguardless of car or SUV, is to put front feet up on the door and I pick up the rear. Getting out is sometimes tricky because she is excited with my other 2 dogs. I try to pick her up if she will stay put, but 65lbs is alot of basset!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've got a Dodge 2500 and I have to pick Noonie up and put him in. The best part is when we get where we're going and he launches himself in the air like he can fly. More than once I've strained my back lifting or "catching" him.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Dog Ramp has been invaluable over the years for back, leg injuries or illness when they couldn't do the "paws up" on the back of the Jeep or my Focus wagon. Seems like at some point a few years ago I could no longer lift a 55-60 lb dog from the ground up to a table or back of SUV. :(
I think this particular ramp has come down in price. I seem to recall paying twice the price of this one 10 years ago.

I think it would work for a 4-door sedan Beverly.

[ February 14, 2006, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts