Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this question is regarding the anal sac. How do you know if your pup/dog needs it expressed? Basil seems to do fine in the BM area. His stools are quite solid but not too much so that he strains. He scooted acouple of times when I first got him but hasn't done it since. I have felt the area and he doesn't wince, nip or even move. I don't know if it looks swollen or if it looks normal. He's got the cute Basset butt so it's hard to tell. I just read some posts on it in general and would like to know what to look for.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My problem sac child will do the following. Scoot, lick, scoot and lick some more. Also, if I don't get her to the vet quickly enough you can smell it and occasionally it will leak a very small amount. Any amount is to much if it's on your couch! I am now trained to take her in every 3-4 weeks before it gets to that point.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If your dog sits down and then drags his bottom along the ground, it is a dead give away.

But be sure to keep your eye out for any excess discharge , swelling etc. from his anus.

Tina and the Gang

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. I haven't seen anything yet. He sits down abruptly on the floor(carpet) then gets up & goes to his spot (paper) and goes. He still hasn't learned to stay in one spot but he does go on the paper!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My bassett (her name is Angel) had consistent anal gland problems. She was always getting them expressed. Finally, the vet decided to remove the anal glands. That is the best decision we ever made. She no longer has that smelly odor or scoots everywhere. She did very well with the surgery. I would highly recommend it if your dog has consistent anal gland problems.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Murray had 2 abcessed anal glands last spring and our vet was talking about surgery- some of the members of this forum suggested increasing the fiber in his diet- I did this and his problems have disappeared. I now add a big spoon of canned pumpkin to his kibble along with a little brown rice and lentils(I cook this every 2 weeks and freeze some), a little bran, and give him a big carrot to munch on every morning. He also gets a little yogurt everyday, which seems to help his yeast problems. This works for us; it might be worth trying if your hound is having problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My two female bassets go for professional bath every week. So I don't have to worry about squeezing anal sacs.

My advise, if you can not take Basil to a professsional bath often, take her once to the vet and ask him/her to "show" you how to clean the sac yoursel and how often they recommend you should do the "not so pleasant procedure".

This simple practice added to the advise you have received about nutrition might save you and your pet lots of trouble and pain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts