Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I clean the dried dirt on the outside tips of my basset hound’s ears ? The part of the ears that get dragged in the mud and get dried dirt on them… is there a perfect solution to this ? With wipes it’s difficult & scratching or peeling the little dried pieces of dirt off the ear pulls the hair with it & he gets red or bleeds… please help

·
Registered
139 Posts
How do I clean the dried dirt on the outside tips of my basset hound’s ears ? The part of the ears that get dragged in the mud and get dried dirt on them… is there a perfect solution to this ? With wipes it’s difficult & scratching or peeling the little dried pieces of dirt off the ear pulls the hair with it & he gets red or bleeds… please help
We wipe both ears with hot to warm wash cloth every night before bed and weekly we dip each one in a soapy water filled plastic cup.
We just wash them every night with warm water and a washcloth. When it gets pretty bad we use plastic cups filled with hot soapy water (just a few drops of dish soap) and soak each one then wipe it off. Part of the basset drill. The wipes don't have enough friction to get the dirt off. Old terry washcloths or one of those gloves we humans use in the shower to exfoliate--they work great for bathing basset areas too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My younger hound Pippin has longer ears so they pick up everything compared to my older guy. I just got in the habit of wiping them clean after every walk. And if he gets them wet or muddy from the yard I do the same and that helps quite a bit. Have also done the warm wet cloth a few folks have mentioned. Besides that, they get a wood wash when he gets a bath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts