Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have three dogs, (not all BH's though), but every day, just before my wife gets home they climb down off the couch/ chair/ floor where they have been sleeping all day, and start to get excited. They stand just in front of the front door and wait, letting other cars pass by without a whimper. But about 5 minutes before she arrives, they go ballsistic.

Whimpering, whinning, just waiting with anticipation. And this is the strange thing. They do this just before she comes home, which is not always at the same time everyday.

How do they know? Is it because I live in a very rural setting? Can they hear the sound of her car? Is it doggy telepathy? Does any one else's dog on here do a similiar thing.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My Mom lives next door to me, and often is either at my house or has Sadie & Spencer at her house. She says they both seem to know when it is time for me to get home from work. They ask to look out the door or sit on the porch to wait for me. On days when I am late, she says they sometimes get whiney. I think they have some kind of internal clock. Similarly, they know when it is time to eat and walk. Mine get a walk every afternoon between 4:30 & 5:00. I don't even have to say anything & Spencer will start barking at me when that time comes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ditto for telepathy, or is it SMELLepathy??? They do have good noses, y'know.

The dogs go ballistic, but are YOU doing anything different 5 minutes before your wife gets home - and on a regular basis? Maybe you transmit something to them that they are picking up on. Does YOUR tail start to wag??? :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
George does this, too, and Hubby's hours are VERY irregular so neither of us (George or me) can predict what time he'll turn up. I once asked Himself, right after he arrived, what time he'd started home and it was the EXACT time that George had begun to get excited and watch the door, and Hubby was at least a couple of miles away at the time. Hubby says George does the same thing when I'm coming home, and my hours are irregular at best, too.

A

·
0 Posts
My husband says exactly the same thing, if I am out Opus snores away in his bed, but about five minutes before I come home he gets up and goes to lie by the front door, nose out tail wagging gently. Andrew says it is uncanny. Our building has offices in it and the lift is up and down all day so how does Opus know when it is me?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Funny, I've got the same thing here with my basset, but not with the westie. I just figured Toby had really good hearing and knew the sound of my car engine.

A

·
0 Posts
All the dogs who have ever lived with us seem to be able to tell when one of us is coming up the lane to home whatever car we are driving. Why???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, more questions then answers. I kind of figured that, but it's pretty neat. Definately adds up to one of the reasons why Dog IS a man's best friend, and will be for the forseeable future in my honest opinion.

Great stories, but I would love to hear more!

·
Registered
78 Posts
sadie is 7 months old. no matter what time i put her into her crate at night she will stay for exactly 6 hours...and thats it.....

it works like this in at 9pm...barks at 3am
in at 11pm barks at 5am.....i think she must have an alarm clock in her crate!!!!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
See, there you go. LOL It's easy enough for George to tell what time to get up -- the alarm goes off and even a hamster would eventually associate alarm = the humans get out of bed. No offense to hamsters. :D But promptly at 10 every night, no matter what WE are doing, he goes to bed. Every night. WE don't go to bed that early. We might be watching TV or doing laundry or have somebody over, and promptly at 10, George either shoves somebody off his couch or goes to his floor pillow and goes to bed. Figure THAT out if you can. I think he can tell time and read the calendar, too. I KNOW he can tell when it's 3:30 p.m. on Sunday afternoon because if we don't take him for a walk or at least begin getting ready to go, he starts having a fit about it. On cold days or rainy days when we're not going to go, he won't settle down at all. And 3:30 is not his regular walk time EXCEPT on Sundays.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Molly (golden) does the same thing about 20 minutes before time for someone to get home she goes and lays in front of the front door and waits....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts