Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been done before, but since I am new here, I thought I would at least let you know how Kenworth got to be called what he is. Their might be more new members that have yet to explain how their dog got their names, and hey, there is a chance this has never been done before on here. If that's the case, this could be fun!

Kenworth got his name because when I got him, I was working for the State Dept of Transportation. I was operating a bucket loader but John Deere 740G just did not work. Since I was loading gravel into the backs of Kenworth trucks I thought, that would be the perfect name for a working dog like Kenworth.

He rode with me for miles on that bucket loader. It was so high though I had to heft him into the cab every morning and back down again when he had to go to the bathroom or at the end of the day. The best part was, it was too far for him to jump so he was always safe in the cab.

Now it's your turn. How did you come up with your dogs name?

A

·
0 Posts
Wilson came to me at four years old already named. I think his owner was watching Home Improvement and it just seemed to fit. If I ever figure out how to do the picture thing I am going to try to take a picture of my boy with his paws on a fence and a baby Bella (the cat) hat on his head, so you actually can't see his whole face. I think it would be funny, plus he does just look like a Wilson. It suits him perfectly.

Sus

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Murray was named after Murray Rothbard who was a family friend. He was a nice Jewish man. Murray has a round spot on the top of his head that looks like a yarmulke (see attached photo). He is a nice Jewish dog.

A

·
0 Posts
My daughter is a drummer so Sabian and Pearl are named after drum sets. Beau came to me with his name but I think it is short for Beauregaurd because he is such a smooth gentleman. I dog I had to part with was Floyd who was named after Pink Floyd. yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
Anne is a huge family name on my father's side and it is my middle name so that is how we came up with "Annie"!

Hope my grandmother and all the others in heaven don't mind a Basset taking our family name.

Kathy

A

·
0 Posts
I have always loved the name Claire, and thought that when I had children I would name a girl "Claire"........ well, at 35 and no immediate plans for a family, I thought that I would make good use of that name! Some people kind of laugh when I tell them her name, I think becuase it is such a "human" name, but it really fits her!! :D :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
My husband NEVER had a pet growing up. His mom was/is psycho about cleaning, so I let him pick the name. He loves the name Molly.

Meanwhile I have always wanted a BOY basset named RUFUS (i'm working on my husband, he things two dogs are too much work). We'll see about that. Anyone I love the name Rufus because my Dad (he is so cool), when he put us to bed as kids (all six of my sisters and I) would read us a book, and then he would make up a story of his own. He always talked about a basset hound named Rufus. Its a very special memory to me!

Ok, now I HAVE TO get a boy basset!!! Convince my husband please!!!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
We have "bad, bad Leroy Brown", and so his brother had to be Cooter Brown, as in "drunker than Cooter Brown"!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was planning on getting two bassets right from the start. (What was I thinking?) I wanted two names that went together.
I liked the name Dozer for three reasons. Because Bassets like to sleep, push their way in to every aspect of your life, and a family history in road and dam construction.
I got Digger 4 months later and thought that his name went great with Dozer. Plus I have holes all over the yard, and it's within the construction theme.
Oh and thanks Inrider, that song "Leroy Brown" went through my head the whole time I wrote this.

H

·
0 Posts
When we got Homer, he was named Buster. We kept calling him - BUSTER!! but he never even turned around, and he was already 1.5 years old. We really didn't care much for Buster, so we decided on Homer, because we were told he was originally found roaming around the streets of Homer,NY. Ever since we renamed him, he always responds to his name, although doesn't always respond to what you are telling him!! :D

A

·
0 Posts
Well when we got Maggie I told my husband that our other animals name ended with "ie" and this basset was no different. So we went through all the names we could think of that ended with "ie" and Maggie just stuck. So when we got Mollie her had to end with "ie" too. And then I thought of the M & M thing(Maggie and Mollie) and it just stuck too. But both their names fit their personality perfectly!

A

·
0 Posts
I had Ruby's name in mind before we even met her.

There was a favorite elephant at the Phoenix zoo named Ruby. It was a baby when I was a young girl and I used to LOVE going to the childrens area to see it. This elephant was very special. She was the first elephant to ever paint. Her keepers gave her a paintbrush, some paints, a canvas and she'd go to town. They figured it out when she'd get a stick in her trunk and wave it around like a paint brush. (since her, there's many elephants now painting).

She died in childbirth and when I heard about it I was soooo sad. My mother has done volunteer work at this zoo for over 20 yrs so hearing about certain animals was a big thing in my life.

So, I thought that I'd like to name our dog Ruby after the Ruby who died.

Ruby is Jewish too and in the Jewish religion, you name your child after someone who has passed on. Not always the same name; can be a derivitive

But there's another reason why we named her this. The first letter of our last name is "D" and there's a wonderful actress named Ruby Dee.

So, between a favorite elephant and a great actress, our Ruby was named.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hare Bawl just seemed to be a good name for a hunting basset ------Wench is a fun name. At a hunt I holler "Wench, get over here" and see who answers.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The shelter that we adopted Moe from always name the animals that come in. My kids wanted to name him Mad Mortigan from a character in the movie "Willow" but it never took. Moe he was and Moe he would always be. It suited him... in his wild and crazy days he reminded me of Moe from the three stooges. :D

For anyone who's considering naming thier Basset Moe, I would advise against it. 'Moe' sounds very much like 'No'. I think for the whole first year we had him he thought his name was "NO-NO-MOE!". ;)

Terry

·
Registered
987 Posts
Dean you are just bad.
Lily got her name because I liked it and had wanted to name my brindle bully tiger lily, but hubby didn't like that so tiger lily because tiger rose, and my houndie became lily.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dr. Gordon Freeman is Gordons full name on his Certificate. It comes from the main character in a video game called Half Life, scientist saves the world all that jazz. Gordon really fits him too. Missy my other dog came from us not intending to keep her but only foster her until we found her a home. Megan would call her Little Miss, we originally wanted to call her Kitty but Missy stuck.

A

·
0 Posts
we named ryobi ryobi after the power tool (my husband is a contractor) (we had a lab once named Makita) Atticus came to us with the name and maddie the same.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts