Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering...........since I am hoping to get a new basset soon, I'm thinking about names. Our first basset's name was Lucy. She came with AKC papers but we never followed through with filling them out and paying for the registration. Her parents, of course, had fancy names, two or three bunched together. We thought about Marvelous Miss Lucy of Maple Street Manner but decided we didn't need a fancy name or the papers, just a basset to love, Lucy. Here's the story of how we arrived at Lucy:

My children were begging for a dog for about three/four years before my husband finally caved and said "OK", so they had a lot of time to choose a name. One kid was in college, the next in line 15 and the youngest 12. Since the kid in the middle often gets "lost" in the shuffle, we went with her name choice, which was Lucy......Lucy after the Charles Schultz Peanuts Gang cartoon character. Well, let me tell you, our basset Lucy, grew into that name perfectly. She was bossy and at times obnoxious but we loved her very much. So although her name was Lucy, she had many nicknames as her family and friends fondly greeted her, lovingly in many "pet" names related to the name of Lucy or related to her behavior or stature. So her name was Lucy but "pet" name and alias list included:
Lulu
Lulu-belle
Lu
Lucille;my brother always sang to her "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille
I Love Lucy the name given to her by a neighbor who always ran out of her house or stopped her car as we'd pass her by, hollering "I LOVE LUCY"
Lucy-two-cie, another neighbor's varation
Loopy
Luthy
Loo-hee-as called by my 2 yr. old granddaughter
The great wabbit hunder
The dish towel thief
Hound-dog
Poo-dog
Hot dog
But mostly just LUCY. I was thinking about naming the next basset we get, "Lucy-too" but no one in my family thinks that's a good idea. I'm just thinking it'd be good b/c I'll probably call her Lucy just from habit. The rest of the family says the new basset deserves to make her own place in our family with a new name! They said, I never get anybody's name in family correct, going through the whole list of kids until I get the right one, what's one more than to add to the list. So maybe they are right. My husband likes Ruby, no one else likes that. I think we need to wait to see what she looks like, then settle on a name. Of coures, we need to find her first!
Just wondering, how did you choose your pet's name? Does he/she have any nick-names? I'm really having a wonderful time reading all the basset names on the forum. Most of them seem to suit very well when I see their pictures or read what you write about them! I'd love to hear your stories!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Basset names

We have five bassets, They are Strawberry Shortcake, named by my at the time 5 year old daughter. Dozer, our new boy, as in Bulldozer. Moose, Lexi formerly Lucy, a rescue, when we got her we already had a Lucy, so we picked something that was close but not too close. Belle, a pup we are keeping from a litter, because she was badly injured and we will not sell a "defective" pup. Then a pup named Tinkerbelle, the one we planned to keep from the litter, once again named by the daughter.;)

They all have nick names of course. Dozey-Wozey, or Dozey is the weirdest I think. Tink, and Tinky also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just sat down and started making a list of names I liked. Bounced the names off a lot of different people and finally narrowed it down to a couple of names. I did not really choose till he was on my lap giving me kisses then I knew he was Biscuit

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
My current two came with names already. They were not objectionable so I kept them

Her parents, of course, had fancy names, two or three bunched together.
That is the registered name. The name you use to call the dog is the "call Name" got admire the originality of the AKC crowd. :rolleyes: Most of the time they are completey unrelated but not always

Fischer the harrier's breeder had his litter's AKC registered names after "teas" fischer is Wesford's (kennel name) British Blend but the call names of the litter all began with the letter 'F" in the case of Fischer he was named after a short stocky friend of the breeder who they though he bore a resemplance and a white J shaped marking on the back of his neck resembing a fish hook.

Macey was one Miriam's aka Soundtrack spice litter. So, she is named after the spice, not the store. Those that have met Macey will get Mirriams humor in her CKC name Soundtracks Twisted Sister

Toughynutter, when a pup, was terrified of being outside, so he needed a name that would help boost his confidence. As a pup he was also a bit off kilter personality wise. A more crumudegeonly dog you could not find and he was a pup. His favorite and only toy he would play with were soda cans which he would shred, ok more rip open. the traditional macho names like spike etc applied to a basset sparked of sarcasism and not an esteem booster. Combining tough with nut and adding a bit of rhyming with a popular childhood sandwich and viola toughynutter. The only draw back to the name is he would become extreme indignate if anyone inproperly shorten his name to Tuffy which should only be reserved for cats, foo-foo dogs or rabbits, rather than toughy.

Mariah I personal try to avoid at all cost typical human names for dogs, but she is my mothers dog and my more appropraite name as time would prove out was rejected in favor of Mariah. My mothers previous dog was "Zephyr" so 2 years after the passing of "zephyr" she aquired a rescue whose oringal name was "Miss Moosley" :rolleyes: one can only guess her marking reminded the kids in the family of a holstein cow. The recue changed the name to "Miss Mosley" which was not any better. My mother decided she wanted a name beginning with M that was related to Wind. Of course given the dogs personality I had the perfect name "Monsoon" but it was quickly rejected as not being feminine, So in the end for lack of any other ideas her name became Mariah after the song "They call the Wind Mariah" and not Mariah Carey as most assume I quess because both are diva's.

Bandit the beagle was a stray that the neighbors across the street found. They were goin away for the weekend and were look for some one to look after it while they were gone, as they tried to find a home for it. After much rebuffing it was mention that it wasn;t even now that the beagle pup would even get along with the two basset. Given the opurtunity she ran inside speeding past the basset scooping up a plush toy and running back outside through the cat door. One could here the remark oh look at the little "bandit" . A stray with a name think you know the rest of the story

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe was named by the shelter workers who found him. My girls wanted to name him Mad Mortigan after the Val Kilmer character from the movie "willow" but Moe stuck. His whacked out personality reminded me of the Three Stooges and it seemed appropriate. I think for the first few years we had him he thought his name was "No Moe, No!.:D I call him Mosey or Mosey-baby.

Tally came from the North American Dachsund Rescue as Patches (she's a chocolate dapple tweenie). We had a cat at the time named Patches so we changed her name to Tallulah-belle, or Tally for short. Being the Alpha we call her demon-dog, devil-dog, or evil-weenie.:cool: Mostly we just call her Tally or Tally-belle.

Our newest guy, who just arrived today from the All American Dachshund Rescue, came to us as Sir Copper. I think it's too much name for the little guy and we are just calling him Copper. He's a gorgeous chestnut colored tweenie dachshund who seems to have the sweetest nature. Even evil Tally seems to like him.:) He has yet to earn a nick-name. As time reveals more of his personality to us I'm sure we'll saddle him with something cute.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well Heather and I argued for a long time about the name of a dog when we got one. Of course some of it depends on the breed but once we knew we would get a basset we narrowed it down a bit. Because she got Rosco while I was out of the state for 3 months I sort of didn't have a say in it, but names we considered:

Radar
Flip-flop
Riley
Flapjack
Jemima (if it was a girl)
Slimer

I wanted to call him Whiplash or Riptide. I also thought of using sort of famous names or names I know from books I have read (R'lyeh is one I liked from the Lovecraft novels, as well as Barnabas from the Sandman series). But I think it might be best to get the dog and see their behavior, because it was pretty obvious right away that our pup was a Rosco.

Also my wife said my dog name ideas were stupid. I don't know, I thought they were original and kind of cool. But we know we are going to get another basset pup in about a year, so we will be having this argument again in 10 months or so.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis as a puppy looked exactly like a priest I knew when I was growing up, Father Francis Aloysius. I still get the urge to confess all when I see his sad old face in the morning.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Picking Mattie's name was easy.. Cause she looks so sad all the time cause of her sad eyes, I named her Mattie cause I tell her all the time "what's the matter Matter?"

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My girl's official name is "Lily the footlong floosie" (named by her previous owner), but we just call her Lily or Lil or even sometimes "Little Lady" (which she is anything but). My boy's name is Joe Gibbs (Redskins, NOT NCIS), but we just call him Gibbs or Bub/Bubba...my husband sometimes calls him "big head" or "fat head" because his head is so large...I don't like those nicknames...my dad calls Gibbs "Giblets".

~Heather

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brunas name in the documents is Fumfel, but first owners named him Brunas. We left that name, cause the dog was 4 years old, when we got it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I went through 2000 dog names, narrowed it down to five and a few days after he came home, I decided on Yogi. I think the name suits him. People tell me all the time that he looks like a Yogi! Most people think he is named after Yogi Bear or the baseball player but neither is correct. I just like the name.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, what a topic..... when we went to pick our pup, I already had my mind set on a female, so with that I really liked the name Isabella (Bella for short), well that name was shot down by the hubs IMMEDIATELY! So on the car ride home we went through a whole bunch of names, Lucy, Baby, Precious, Sweet Pea, Daisy Mae... and the list goes on. Finally we pulled into a gas station/ convience store, and my hubby said "Snickers", after all she does remind me of the wrapper. And I agreed... I LOVE Snickers bars, they are my favorite!
As for nicknmes.... well....
Snickers Marie (mostly when she's in trouble... and that's A LOT)
Snickie doo
Baby Basset
Snicks
Snicker, Snicker, Snicker (that's what my mom calls her)
Cuddlebug
and the list goes on.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for sharing your stories & pictures of your hounds! Makes me so eager, I can hardly wait to have a hound again!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning is so named because he has a zig-zagged white blaze down the back of his neck that looked like a bolt of lightning. When he was a puppy, it also looked a bit like an upside down question mark, so his name is actually "Lightning?". Now that he's 12 the blaze is harder to see and a much different shape than it once was, so I just let people assume I named him Lightning as a joke about the basset's activity level and speed. The joke is on me, however, as Lightning was a very high-energy dog for many many years. Stomps (ATB) came to me with that name. I think his original name was Stumps, but the rescue renamed him. It didn't really fit, as he was a delicate basset, but I just couldn't get used to calling him anything else. Whatever the name, enjoy your new basset. They are wonderful dogs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The breeder named Rusty & Stickers before I got them. She calls her hounds "Kaleidoscope Hounds". Rusty's registered name is "Kaleidoscopes Street Legal". This is the story of how he got his call name "Rusty". He was born mostly white. Over the next few weeks he started to develop his lemon colored spots. The first place he got them were on his testicles. SO, the breeders Husband said "Yeah, this dog has Rusty nuts"!! So that's how he came to be known as "Rusty". After we neutered him he called him "Rusty No Nuts" Stickers registered name is "Kaleidoscopes Cactus Flower", thus the "Stickers"!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The day we decided to adopt our basset hound, I went to pick him up while my girlfriend shopped for supplies with a friend of hers. After I got him back to the house I called my girlfriend and told her I thought that maybe we should keep his name the same since he seemed to be having a tad bit of trouble adjusting at first. We decided over the phone, for consistencies sake, that his name would stay beau since he was three already.

So my first choice of pete was out, which is a good thing because he is definitely not a pete. Her first choice was gus to pay homage to a nice neighborhood dog from her childhood, but it looked like he was going to stay a beau.

About an hour later she came home to find me a little exasperated trying to care for a poor confused basset hound who by our count was on his third owner. Here is the conversation we had when she got home:

Jess: "We figured it out"
me: "Figured what out?"
Jess: "What we'll call him"
Me: "I really think we should stick with beau, he's having a hard time adjusting. He hasn't stopped barking since I brought him home and then he pooped on the floor"
Jess: "That's fine lets call him BeauGus"

So we arrived at Bogus a name which let us keep using his old name for short, and also described my first few hours with him very succinctly. I think it also sums up nicely his early life experience since he spent time with three different owners and did a stint in a shelter.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep the name stories coming, they are the best entertainment I've enjoyed in months, seems like others think so as well!

Favorite name so far........Toughynutter! now that's original!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
heck did if even give the the one that proceed toughynutter.

snuggleupagainstus as a take off on the elphant/mamoth like creature on seasame street.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Flash already had his name when I rescued him, so I didn't want to rename him on top of all the traumas he'd already gone through.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Murray was named after Murray Rothbard, the founder of libertarianism, who was my husband's colleague and a personal friend. Murray Rothbard passed away years before we got our Murray, but we thought the personalities were similar and named the pup accordingly.

Murray N. Rothbard

1 - 20 of 59 Posts