Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why don't people who enjoy their bassets do performance events with them of some sort? is there a conspiracy against doing things with your dog if you are not a stereotypical AKC show dog or close therein?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I think quite a few folks on this board do some kind of events/activities with their bassets: Mike competes in Agility, a few people are involved in tracking, Dean and Pinehawk are involved with field trials, and I do pet therapy and educational programs for children, with Murray.

Is that the kind of thing you had in mind? Are you interested in getting involved in any of the above, or are you already doing some kind of events with your basset?

·
Registered
183 Posts
A lot of these events require a large slot of time devoted to the event. A lot of folks just don't have the time to devote to it. I would love to run my Hazley in the rabbit trials, but work and family are my priority at this time. I envy those who have devoted their time to those type events. Life gets in the way! :D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi,
I've often wondered the same thing, and think it is a shame that so few people train their bassets in tracking, obedience and field and hunt trials. Wonder if people who have bassets are buying into the myth that they are dumb, lazy and hard to train? I love doing obedience and tracking with my dogs--we probably have as much, or more fun, than the breeds that are supposed to be easy to train. On the other hand, maybe the percentage of bassets in performance events, all bassets considered, isn't all that different than the percentage of any breed that works in any performance event. Most dogs just hang around the house....

·
Registered
85 Posts
My husband and I both work full time plus. That being said we have not had time to do as much training as we would like to but it can be done. We just got our TD at nationals but it did take some time but we had fun practicing when we could. You could teach the kids how to lay beginner tracks at first to involve the family, and it might be fun for them. If you want to get into tracking u can do it with a limited amount of time. It just migt take you longer to get certified. As far as field trials go, at least where I have participated, they welcome family members to participate in the gallery and such so it could be more like a family event. They are usually held on weekends so that helps with alot of people's schedules.

Erica

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
why don't people who enjoy their bassets do performance events with them of some sort? is there a conspiracy against doing things with your dog if you are not a stereotypical AKC show dog or close therein?[/b]
But we DO

This year Rosie got both her Rally Novice and her Agility Novice titles, plus two legs on her Rally Advanced

And 11 year old Gabby got her Rally Novice title as well!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear alot of people go hiking and such with their dogs, yes even basset hounds! Whats the point of owning one if you're not going to enjoy it? Sure some events require more time than others but then there are other events that don't require extensive amounts of time. I mean agility is alot of work, tracking... doesn't seem like it'd take as much time, and hell field trials are almost effortless... ok not effortless but I mean the dog was bred to do that job so it shouldn't be that difficult.

I don't understand this I have a family bit. Everyone has a family and the associated responsibilities. Everyone also has a job. Anyone care to explain that?

Nice photos!
Its always funny how people are like oh bassets are dumb and difficult to train. Its not that they're difficult to train, it just takes longer because they're thinking it through thoroghly before executing the task. Mine know a whole bunch of tricks but that doesn't mean when I ask for a performance that I'm going to get one. lol.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since I really don't want to go into details...I'd give a lot to be able to participate in field trials, but it's just not possible.

My hounds are not deprived since they aren't in a hound activity. They're eager to go on our 3+ walks a day, to sniff around and chase the local rabbits and squirrels and occasional cat that strays too close to our yard.

So, you're really not being fair in assuming people "should" have the time to devote to an activity that requires quite a bit of time. Just because things are going well for you now, someday, you may be in my shoes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I believe there are "people who have pets' and "dog people". It doesn't matter the breed. I have dogs because I want to work WITH them. Pet owners usuallly aren't interested in performance events, although sometimes we can get them to join us. Whatever floats your boat. Although I've found that the majority of people involved in rescue are "pet people". Go figure! Just love 'em! Take care, Belinda.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It sounds like your hounds have a great life! Sometimes I think all the 'performanc' activities we do with our dogs are more about fulfillling OUR needs than giving the dog something they need.

I actually did read your post before it was edited, and want you to know you're in my prayers.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
As Belinda said: doesn't really matter as long as you love them. Just because yours do events or whatever does not by any means you love yours any more or less than someone else who does not do events. Who are you to judge?

~Heather

·
Registered
183 Posts
It sounds like your hounds have a great life! Sometimes I think all the 'performanc' activities we do with our dogs are more about fulfillling OUR needs than giving the dog something they need.

I actually did read your post before it was edited, and want you to know you're in my prayers.[/b]
;) Thanks, I appreciate your prayers. I kinda felt guilty about there being TMI there, so I deleted it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Actually running bassets in the field and competing in hunts or field trials does not require much time. In the AHBA events, such as the hunt at Elizabethtown, PA on the 14th &15th, we welcome novice hounds and owners. The grounds are fully fenced so no basset can be lost. We take small packs of hounds out release them and they have one hour to run around and try to find a bunny. A novice hound may not do well, and the more they run rabbits, the better they become, but even with no training, many bassets will naturally start tracking. They also learn from the other hounds
There is one local couple who own 5 pure pet bassets and their oldest hound has become a good rabbit hound

·
Registered
183 Posts
Actually running bassets in the field and competing in hunts or field trials does not require much time. In the AHBA events, such as the hunt at Elizabethtown, PA on the 14th &15th, we welcome novice hounds and owners. The grounds are fully fenced so no basset can be lost. We take small packs of hounds out release them and they have one hour to run around and try to find a bunny. A novice hound may not do well, and the more they run rabbits, the better they become, but even with no training, many bassets will naturally start tracking. They also learn from the other hounds
There is one local couple who own 5 pure pet bassets and their oldest hound has become a good rabbit hound[/b]
LOL, I guess not much time is all relative! A one day trial is that, a whole day! If you run and leave, sure, not much time. But most will want to do it properly, which definitely includes the important human socialization + refreshments = entire day. Not that I'm complaining :p I so enjoyed it!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
On the other hand, maybe the percentage of bassets in performance events, all bassets considered, isn't all that different than the percentage of any breed that works in any performance event[/b]
It very much depends on the breed, it seams those breeds that have there own exclusive registrry like Austrialian Shephards, Border collies and jack russelL terriers have a much higher participation rates than other breed. Toy breeds in general a much lowerer rate as that is they were bred for being companion and nothing else in the first place.

IMHO there is a vast majority of basset owner that view them very similairly to cats as pets. A relatively low maintaince pet, low activity, low grooming, little training because they can't be taught in the first place. As such they are missing out on a lot of the potential joy of being a basset owner.

As Belinda said: doesn't really matter as long as you love them. Just because yours do events or whatever does not by any means you love yours any more or less than someone else who does not do events. Who are you to judge?[/b]
Uhm that is not what Balinda said at all. It is virtual impossible to explain to someone with not intention or inclination to "participate" with their dog but those of us that do all have had a dog at one time or anouther that was "just a pet" an to a person I have have never pet anyone that they did not have a closer relationship with a dog they partcipated with than one they did not. Through participation you learn more about the dog and yourself, improve the relationship and learn to communicate better with future dogs as well. Participate does not mean compete. Some of the moste obiedient and well trained dogs never have seen an obedience ring, just as some of the best hunting dogs have never been to a field trial.

A novice hound may not do well, and the more they run rabbits, the better they become, but even with no training, many bassets will naturally start tracking. They also learn from the other hounds[/b]
You can add Macey to that mix as well as one of those novice dogs that improves every time out, but only has the experience of the Field Trial itself for training because of a lack of local grounds to run on.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I assumed they were referring to the amount of time it takes to train hounds for top competition. That does take some time and as you know, you may need a training area.
To come to a hunt and let the hound have some fun does not take much time, just the travel and event time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
To clarify my post and further explain what Michael said in regards to my post: people who participate with their dogs in performance events DEFINITELY have a closer bond with and understanding of their dogs. This doesn't mean that you don't love your dogs as much, but the two things are separate entities. I have a Lab who, due to physical restraints, is a pet. I love him to pieces, but because I can't "work" with him, we have a different relationship than I have with my other dogs. Not lesser, just different. I consider my working dogs partners, we're a team. Whether it be doing obedience, rally, hunt tests or advertising work. And I chose not to have children, and I chose a career that allows me the freedom to participate in dog events, so I have the time and resources to participate in performance events. Alot of people do not. I feel very lucky to be able to immerse myself in this lifestyle. Most people don't want to. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. As I said, whatever floats your boat! Take care all and love your Bassets!! Belinda.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's odd to me that anyone would think they can "definitely" know how close someone else is to their dogs. Everyone is different. Every dog/human relationship is different. Participating in performance events is a great way to bond with your dogs, not the only way or always the best way.

·
Registered
297 Posts
But we DO

This year Rosie got both her Rally Novice and her Agility Novice titles, plus two legs on her Rally Advanced

And 11 year old Gabby got her Rally Novice title as well!

Congrats... I'm hoping to gain a few Rally titles on our girl as well. I wanted to finish her championship first as some had said there could be issues with sitting in the ring and with training them for Rally and Conformaiton at the same time. So now that we are finished we've taken our first round of rally classes and are hoping to do another couple rounds and perhaps get a Rally Advanced. I'm pretty sure we could get a Novice now but I want to work on a few signs first to get them more consistent.

By the way... I've never actually seen a long haired basset before. Actually it's rather neat looking.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts