Basset Hounds Forum banner

How can I live with my pet?

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  anonymous1989 
#1 ·
I am suffering from severe anxiety, and the times have been tough for me. The only last hope for me is my pet, Dixie, who is a 3-year-old basset. I am moving to a new place, but my landlord is not allowing Dixie with me. Can anyone suggest to me what I should do? :mad:

Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
Have you tried explaining to the landlord that you have anxiety issues and you need Dixie to cope with them? Can you get documentation from a doctor to back up your claims?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
You can get an accomodation with an ESA Letter

I know that the time is callous for you, but you have to keep patience and stay calm, If you're suffering from anxiety and your dog is supporting you emotionally you can get an Emotional Support Animal Letter for Dixie, the letter will certify your mental disability and how you pet is helping you to recover from it.
I have also been suffering from mental depression, and my basset has improved my mental state a lot over time. I got my ESA Letter from https://www.fastesaletter.com/. Though my landlord didn't know about ESA and Federal Laws, as I informed him, he understood it and provided accommodation for me and my pet.

Hope that might help.

#5 ·
Where do you live? If you are in the US, the Fair Housing Laws protect your rights to live with your emotional support animal in the house in spite of having "no pets" rules. The landlords cannot refuse your ESA and apply pet rules to ESAs or charge for extra deposits, rents, or other fees except for the reparation of destruction. To let the landlord admit your ESA, you could explain the importance of your dog and display some proofs such as ESA letter that should be written by your licensed health mental professional. In my experience, a professional doctor will assess your health state and give your suggestion of ESA after several inquiries. If you're housing in Canada, living with your ESA dog might be different and harder, read this article for more details: https://www.certapet.com/emotional-support-animal-canada/

#6 ·
I am sure that if you would explain your landloard with your need for Dixie and your condition he/she would understand. Also parallely you can work on your anxiety and try getting out of it. When you have good confidence level, it you will easly be able to make your landloard understand about your situation.

#7 · (Edited)
In such a situation, you have two options. The first one is to try to have a serious dialogue with your landlord. He should understand that your anxiety smoothers only when Dixie is near you. In case the answer will still be a no, then here is the other option. You should simply find another house to rent. You know, I have a Bullmastiff breed dog, which according to Top 10 Scariest Looking Dog Breeds - Petsoid is considered one of the scariest dog on the planet. I haven’t met any landlords who will say no pets allowed in their house yet. Probably they are all afraid of my puppy. Landlords who don’t allow pets are very few in number. Please don’t leave your Dixie, because one bastard landlord can’t stand dogs. Most of the proprietors allows any pets you want.

#8 ·
If your pet is very important to you and you love him better find such kind of living where you can move together with your dog. Sure, you can find a family or shelter were to give your pet. But first of all, you must understand what especially is in priority for you - this apartment or your dog. Honestly, I wouldn’t have a question of whom to choose. We have 2 chinchillas and they have a big cage for chinchillas and when we moved I found housing where it was permitted to live with animals. Animals get used to the place where they live and to their owners. It is stressful for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.