Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how heavy your hounds are.I have looked at a lot of the pics on the forum and a lot of your hounds look huge :eek:
My two are 45 pounds for the male and 40 for the female.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Patty and Dolly are 1 year sisters and Patty is petite and about 42 lbs,Dolly is chubby and she is at 50lbs. Copper is almost 2 and he is 65 lbs but he is very long so he isn't fat at all. Needless to say it is an adventure to walk all three at once

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Just wondering how heavy your hounds are.I have looked at a lot of the pics on the forum and a lot of your hounds look[/b]
not sure how usefull the info is

Toughynutter before agility competition 62# after/.during 47

Zephyr 42

Mariah from rescue 37 now doing agility 42 all rear end muscle mass

Macey 54

toughynutter

Zephyr

mariah

macey

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning is about 60 lbs, and I have to fight to keep his weight that low. Stomps is a rescue and has always been skinny and a finicky eater, so I fight to keep his weight up. He usually maxes at about 45 lbs.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Belvedere is a good 70 lbs now, at 5 years old. He's just a big boy. He has gone down a few times but he seems happier with his treats :rolleyes:

Dixie is holding onto the same weight as she was when she came to us a year ago ...54 lbs. She's 8+ years old. Very dainty.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe weighs seventy pounds, give or take a pound or two. His current weight is healthy for his size according to our vet. At one point, about five years ago, he weighed a whopping eighty pounds and looked very "beefy". :eek: This was after his "I'll-eat-anything-anywhere-anytime" phase. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bogie (2 years in 2 months!) is just hitting the 40 pound mark, but he was 35 when I got him from the rescue. The vet said he is sort of long for a basset, but he's also short and not very wide or thick around the chest. Because of his bow-legs, I'm supposed to keep him under 45-50 pounds so they dont get stressed from carrying his weight. So they aren't all huge! and mabye some just look bigger in pictures!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Both of mine are over 2 years old. Digger is 63 lbs and is on the thin side. Dozer is 59 lbs and is actually a little too thin. They are very active, and get all they "will" eat. (I say "will", because they will only eat so much, sometimes skipping meals I feed them)

·
Registered
775 Posts
My two will be 2 years old in February. Rusty is 50 pounds and Stickers is 45 pounds. They run around alot in the backyard and we take them for 2 one mile walks around the lake in our subdivision everyday. Excerise helps keep their weight down. My Maggie Mae (ATB) was never over 52 pounds and never got any table scraps and lots of exercise. I like to think that helped her live to the ripe old age of 15 years old.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sabian is 5 and he is 50# and to me looks a little thin but the vet calls this his "teenage weight" and thinks he should stay there. Pearly is 57# and even I think she is a little portly! Sabian loves to walk and we walk a lot. Pearly on the other hand has OCD (something with her left shoulder) and if she walks too much she ends up lame so she goes on only short walks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Moe weighs seventy pounds, give or take a pound or two. His current weight is healthy for his size according to our vet. At one point, about five years ago, he weighed a whopping eighty pounds and looked very "beefy". :eek: This was after his "I'll-eat-anything-anywhere-anytime" phase. :rolleyes:[/b]

I'm glad someone else can consider their 70 pounder a healthy weight. I'm told that Belly is the right weight for his size. He's not bloated looking or unhealthy. He's just BIG and LONG. He moves like a Florida Panther ....the same heavy trot! And he still has a slight waist. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Baxter is 5 months old and already 27 pounds. He is not fat though, just very long. The breeder said the pups would probably be on the "small" side, but I don't think that will be the case!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Annie is six years old and weighs 61 lbs and the vet would like to see her lose a few pounds and we are trying but she is so into her treats that it is hard not to break down and give her one.

We joined the dog park in our area and she loves that and has been "running" with the big dogs and hopefully that will knock some pounds off of her. Everyone laughs when we arrive cuz she is so much fun watching her run with all these big breeds and can only go so far with them and then quits running and barks at them to come back to her. Hopefully once the warm weather stays we can take her daily.

Kathy

·
Registered
118 Posts
I need to be very discrete and careful that José isnt reading this over my shoulder... he is very sensitive, you know, to comments on his weight!

People who meet him say "WOW YOU'RE A BIG GUY" or the less desirable 'WHAT A FAT DOG" and it is then I have to correct them by informing them he is simply Big Boned. :blink:

José is 5 years old, 67 lbs. He USED to be a finiky eater up until he was about a year old - he was 45/50 lbs. But then I discovered Bil Jac & was just happy he ate. Well 10 lbs came on awfully quickly so we had to try to put the brakes on. He's been steady around 67, gets about 3 cups of weight management beneful plus a few small treats a day. Usually walks about a mile, less (at least 1/4 mile though) if its freezing like now~

"Before" One year old:

"After" 5 years old:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Lily is 56 pounds (2 years old), and Gibbs is 55 pounds (3 years old). The vet says they are both healty.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Mine range from a very petite basset, Georgia, who is a healthy 27# at 3 years, to Dart my wonderful 10 year old senior at about 57#s. We try to keep everyone's weight down, but not so it is unhealthy. We worry about health porblems later on. All of ours get lots and lots of excercise and we try to avoid table scraps etc. Sometimes it's hard with those "I've starving" basset eyes!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts