Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, forum members. I need some advice on how to address a chronic peeing problem that's been ongoing for about 2 weeks now. Every day now for the last 5 days, we keep finding a puddle of pee in either the living room carpet, their bed blankets or some other carpeted/soft area of the house (of course, they avoid the hardwood.) We don't know which one it is (I guess it could be both??) we have not caught anyone in the act yet.

We even have a dog door so they can let themselves out, it's not an issue about letting them outside. And it's typically at night, from around 8-10pm. It doesn't appear to be a bladder infection, there's always been a distinct odour to the urine when they have those. This is just mystifying to us, they're well trained but seem to be regressing and we don't understand what's going on. (They're 5 years old, they are well beyond housebroken...)

The girls are not aggressive or hyper, they're typical lovable Bassets, but I'm starting to get worried this is some kind of psychological expression of frustration. I just didn't think Bassets got 'passive aggressive'?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
It happens just rule out a medical cause. With Spayed females are ocurring in areas you would likely find one of the lying or sleeping you may be dealing with a condition known as spay incontinence. It is something that occurs in older females as hormone levels drop but can occur earlier in spayed female. Don't need to go details how the hormones effect contol but it is easily found if interested doing an internet search on spay incontinence. THe condition generally responds quite favorably to treatment with a drug called "Proin"

The locations indicate this is at least a possibility the on caveate is alteast in the two beagle girls here that developed the problem it was never a once a day occurence much more random but that.

Barring a medical cause there is not much sence in wondering/worring why the dogs regressed in housetrain, it happens from time to time. Just assume neither is and begin retraining. The second time around is much faster.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts