Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jackie is a very good girl and has learned to "sit" "leave it" "circle" and is working on walking loosely with the leash. The problem area is housebreaking (no suprise there). The thing I can't understand is why Jackie pees in her crate. She is twelve and a half weeks old, is she still to young to control her bladder while she sleeps? Here is the story of a typical night:

10:30pm last walk before bed (usually two pees and a #2)

11:00pm quick pee break to make sure Jackie is empty (recommened by my trainer).

1:00am pee break

3:00am pee break

5:00am pee break

7:00am wake-up with walk and normal day starts

She has no water after 8:30pm, but when I check her crate at 7am, she has peed in her crate. I have tried waking up every hour and a half but she still wets in her crate. Jackie just seems to have no idea that she is supposed to hold it when she has to go. Last night she peed on daddy twice! Both time she had gone out less than thirty minutes before. I'm just stumped and not getting any sleep!!!

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike for the links. The crate I am using is actually for cats and it is just big enough for Jackie to turn around and stand in. I will call my vet tomorrow to make an appointment to rule out any medical conditions. Jackie doesn't seem to have any pain or other symptoms that would cause me to think something is wrong but I would like to be on the safe side.

If anyone else has any other ideas, please share 8)

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mylilturbopup, Jackie has been in puppy classes for three weeks and I highly recommend it. It has definetly been worth the money, I love the fact that it gives us some special Mommy and Me time every week. I would recomend Petsmart's classes if there is one near you.

Rubydoo, Jackie's crate is right next to me in the bedroom. The most frustrating thing is that she does not cry to go out. I set my alarm for the times listed above because I know she is too young to go through the night. She will move around sometimes and I have a bell on her so that if she does move around, then I will take her out. I've even thought that maybe I am sleeping through her noises so one night I put a tape recorder on her crate to check and she never whines. I guess it's just something I'll keep learning as we go along and she gets older.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.