Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackie is a very good girl and has learned to "sit" "leave it" "circle" and is working on walking loosely with the leash. The problem area is housebreaking (no suprise there). The thing I can't understand is why Jackie pees in her crate. She is twelve and a half weeks old, is she still to young to control her bladder while she sleeps? Here is the story of a typical night:

10:30pm last walk before bed (usually two pees and a #2)

11:00pm quick pee break to make sure Jackie is empty (recommened by my trainer).

1:00am pee break

3:00am pee break

5:00am pee break

7:00am wake-up with walk and normal day starts

She has no water after 8:30pm, but when I check her crate at 7am, she has peed in her crate. I have tried waking up every hour and a half but she still wets in her crate. Jackie just seems to have no idea that she is supposed to hold it when she has to go. Last night she peed on daddy twice! Both time she had gone out less than thirty minutes before. I'm just stumped and not getting any sleep!!!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I sometimes babysit a New Foundlander, she's 10 and lost some bladder control after a hysterectomy lately.
They got some pills for her from the vet, and she's much better after that.
I don't know the name, but a vet would, I'm sure. I can find it, if necessary.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
\"she's 10 and lost some bladder control after a hysterectomy lately.  
They got some pills for her from the vet, and she's much better after that.  
I don't know the name, but a vet would, I'm sure.\"
Spay incontenence is thought to be tied to a reduction in sex hormones It is unlikely a 12 week old has been spayed and even more unlikely spayed long enough for a hormone reduction to be link to incontinence.

FWIW PPA (phenylpropanolamine) is the drug of choice. At one time it was readily available in diet pills and some otc allergy medications. However some years ago it was linked to Strokes in Young Women and removed for human use by the FDA. Dog do not experience a similar with the Drug and it is now available under the trade name "Proin"

There are possible medical cause of incontinence that need to be ruled out. UTI (urinary Tract Infection) Stones, Misformed, located bladder, ureathra that need to check out.

That said sphincter control is one thing that developes much later in bassets than in other breeds so house training is much more of a challenge. I find the following Links have a lot of practical advice.

Housetraining Your Puppy

Potty Training Tip

House Training: Ring My Bell!

Crate Training

Often one problem encounter while using a crate to house train in using an crate large enough for an adult with a puppy. Often a puppy will percieve such a large crate as a house with multiple rooms rather than just his "bedroom" A large crate can easily be made smaller by inserting a cardboard box inside of an appropriate size to take up the extra space.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike for the links. The crate I am using is actually for cats and it is just big enough for Jackie to turn around and stand in. I will call my vet tomorrow to make an appointment to rule out any medical conditions. Jackie doesn't seem to have any pain or other symptoms that would cause me to think something is wrong but I would like to be on the safe side.

If anyone else has any other ideas, please share 8)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am having the exact same problem and it is sooooo frustrating,my pup was the runt so I think she is a little behind on the developmental stage, she does normal puppy stuff, she chews paper and wants to eat your food if you leave it sit in an area she can reach, but she is not stupid and I can't figure out how to house break her. She pees in her crate, and will go twice outside and then come in and pee 15 minutes later, so I made an appointment to rule out a UTI or something like that. But she is 4months old and I am at my wits end, I started her in puppy classes hoping it would help so I feel your pain, hopefully, it is something that we can figure out, cause I love sharing my life with my basset but not her urine all over the place. SO if you find anything out or I find anything I will let you know

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Do you have her crate in your bedroom when you're sleeping? This way you can hear her cry so she doesn't pee in there when she has to go potty.

You should have seen us when Ruby was that age. We were living in Bassetchusetts at the time and got her in December (mistake because of the blizzards). We kept our snow boots and down coat and so on at the foot of the bed. After about a month of carrying her up and down the stairs freezing our you-know-what's off in the middle of the night, I got smart and put newspaper down in our shower and she "made" in there at night.

All bassets are different but we got Ruby at 10-11 weeks of age and even tho we took her out to "go make potty" at bedtime, she had to go out in the middle of the night until she was waaaay older. I can't recall at what age she was when she started sleeping thru the night but I do recall Ruby's daddy and I just about doing high-fives that she did.

To this day, we wake her up to take her out to "go make potty" B4 **WE** go to bed.

:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, all these stories leave me with a greater appreciation for my Daisy Dog. i thought almost all dogs perferred not to pee where they sleep/lay. Daisy is 4 and a half months and she has slept through the night consistantly for over a month now. Since i got her, she has never eliminated in her kennel. When i leave her at home during the day i make sure to let her out at lunch time ( after 4 hours in the kennel) and she does well on that schedule.

The only problem i have to contend with now is that if i leave her the opportunity, she will find an area that is "hidden" and pee there. To prevent these accidents, i restrict her form going into these known areas without my supervision.

~Jessica

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mylilturbopup, Jackie has been in puppy classes for three weeks and I highly recommend it. It has definetly been worth the money, I love the fact that it gives us some special Mommy and Me time every week. I would recomend Petsmart's classes if there is one near you.

Rubydoo, Jackie's crate is right next to me in the bedroom. The most frustrating thing is that she does not cry to go out. I set my alarm for the times listed above because I know she is too young to go through the night. She will move around sometimes and I have a bell on her so that if she does move around, then I will take her out. I've even thought that maybe I am sleeping through her noises so one night I put a tape recorder on her crate to check and she never whines. I guess it's just something I'll keep learning as we go along and she gets older.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts