Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Husband's daughter and 4 grankids are visiting for the week!!!!!!! The kids are ages 11, 9, 7 and 1!!!!! They have 5 dogs at home but all live outside. Various purebreds. The dogs have many acres to run and play. They NEVER come in the house and play with the kids. The kids just kind of pet them on the head when passing by. As some of you know, Rusty and Stickers are just one year old. They are very calm and loving dogs. Well, the 1 year old insisted on sticking her sippy cup in Rusty's mouth!!! Well, now he is obsessed with that thing!!!!! Her mother, my Husband's daughter constantly says "NO RUSTY, NO"!!!!!!!!!! IT is getting on my last nerve!!! He doesn't know any better. Every 2 minutes the same thing!!!!!!!!!!! Has this happened to anyone else?????? Company comes to visit and tells you how to raise and train YOUR DOG IN YOUR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait till Saturday!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've had various people try that - both with my kids (when they were younger) and later with my dogs.

I just tell them straight up, "MY house - MY kids - MY dogs - MY rules .... NOT your business! I don't come to your house and tell YOUR kids (dogs/cats/animals) how to behave or what to do, kindly have the same respect for me in MY home ... and if you don't like it you are welcome to not visit."

I do have a couple people that won't come over because they are unable to repress the urge to order me and my children or dogs around in my own home ... however most people do respect that this is MY house and if I want their oppinion or help or input I'll ask them for it.

If all else fails ... remember this too shall pass! *huggles / comforts and good luck!*

·
Registered
9 Posts
We solved that problem real quick.... we bought a 2 bedroom and turned the spare room into kennels for our rescue dogs. No room for guests... we miss our family but we love our dogs. LOL

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
LOL! Been there. I did post that poem about dogs- something about if you don't want fur on your clothes stay off the couch... it's "fur" niture. I can't find it right now - but it does talk about the dogs living there and you don't. My mom kind of rolled her eyes. My nephew was/is a terror with the hounds- running, screaming "they jumped on me". He would egg them on and when they came after him he would act terrified - drove me daft! My mom tried the lecture- he's just a little boy (10) he doesn't understand- well- the dogs are puppies- they don't understand either= Sometimes you have to strike a compromise- I keep my more "busy" dogs - Indy and Abby as separate as I can. If Jake and Sami are ignored for a bit they settle right down- Good luck... I've been contemplating having all the family here for Christmas this year... maybe I should rethink!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have this same problem with my family, but they all live here(so we see them ALOT!) And to make things more complicated is my parents own a business and we all work there. My mom is always telling me my dogs stink or why do you have so many dogs just to name a few. I have to bite my tongue so many times because they upset me so much. I try to keep peace, but I feel your pain. My parents have 3 dogs too, and their dogs aren't house broken(and they are senior dogs at that) and I don't see how they can lecture me.

My advice, just keep peace and just let it go. It is the hardest thing for me to do, good luck!

[ April 14, 2006, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Mollie and Maggie ]

·
Registered
316 Posts
5 dogs in the backyard but they can't come inside the house? I will never understand that.

In the midwest there are a lot of 'hunters' that have dogs that stay out in a dog run 24/7. I guess these 4 legged gifts from God are more than dogs to me.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I got rid of all our guest beds after an unpleasant experience from a relative. Now I offer to give people who want to visit a list of nearby hotel and b & b's. If someone doesn't want my dogs near them then they can stay away.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Only the most die hard of overnight guests will stay with us - the kitty litter box is in the guest room. This really sorts the wheat from the chaff! :p

·
Registered
866 Posts
I understand how you feel, but unfortunately, she is your husband's daughter and grandson. Unless, you have a wonderful relationship with this daughter, this is probably a situation that could be best addressed by your husband rather than yourself. I understand it is your home, but they are your guests, so you want to be as hospitable as possible.

In the meantime, to keep Rusty from being yelled at, I would probably gate Rusty and Stickers in another room...away from the baby. Or better yet, gate the baby in another room... :lol: After all, a baby is a baby and Rusty is very young himself. As far as Rusty is concerned the sippy cup tastes good and it looks like a toy, so wonder he is obessed with it.. :lol: The sippy cup is one thing, but since a baby can be so unpredictable and, since Rusty isn't used to being around the antics of one so young, you wouldn't want to risk either one being hurt. As trustworthy as my Tess and Hugh are, since they aren't used to being around young children, I would never turn my back on this type situation.

In the future, perhaps your husband's daughter will give more thought to her visits and be more cognizant of the fact that she will be the guest in your home and that Rusty and Stickers are permanent.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well said!!!! In the future my Husband will strongly remind her that this is their house. They left today!! Rusty & Stickers were wonderful with the children the entire visit!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yip have had this- but I had to make the hard decision of repremanding my guests on one) feeding my dogs strange foods and two) the one b*stard was tugging my little pudding at her back leg thinking that is was funny!!!! SO NOT FUNNY!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts