Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group – This is my first post. Lucky was neutered on Dec. 18 and we understand that it will take some time for his hormones to adjust. Has anyone had experience with similar behavior discribed below?

Lucky is an 8 month old male (May 2 birthday) who joined our family at the end of Sept. He has thus far exhibited a submissive personality including on / off episodes of submissive urination. To this end we have been very patient with his house training. Now that he does well in the family room, we’re trying to integrate him in to the rest the house. He has been known to “mark” territory primarily upstairs were our cat has had the run of the house for several years. They get along ok – a lot better than we expected; Lucky has always tried to eat her food (big surprise[/size] :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I have no advice for you.

I just really enjoyed the title of your post. :D

There was something about it with the little note beneath on the main board ("Integrating the 8 month old ... ") that brought a big smile. Kudos on a great title!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I think most of my puppies have exhibited some submissive urination, usually when greeting another canine or when people make a big fuss. I never made a big deal about it and eventually the submissive behavior, including urination disappeared. Best thing is to ignore it. Also it's unrelated to housetraining. Continue with your housetraining and I'd recommend increased vigilance following the recent neutering. Sounds like your pup has a lot of freedom in the house if he's upstairs marking. I used the philosophy that if my pup had an accident it was my fault. Nothing breeds success like success when it comes to housetraining.

Oh yes I almost forgot. I strongly encourage anyone with a pup to enroll in a training class. It may help your pup become more confident and help with the submissive urination in addition to the usual benefits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts