Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask. My new bassett (15wks old) is doing well. He occasionally poops in the house after being outside to do the same thing.

Do I need to be more patient?

How do I make him recognize the difference between going outside to play and doing his business?

Also, we are crate training him. How long is to long in the crate, in terms of total hrs a day. Since he has been messing, when he makes a mistake, I put him in his crate, wait a 1/2 hr to 1hr and then take him out. Is this right?

Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having problems. Some things that worked for us:

1. When going outside to do "big business", take him on a leash, and don't let him play until he does his business, then he can play. In other words, stay in one place until he does it. Continually talk about his "going good boy outside" until your neighbors think you're nuts! :blink: My dogs now squat and do "Good Boy Outside" on command. When you see him at the door, say "You need to go Good Boy Outside?". Then talk it up the whole time you are out. Praise the heck out of him when he does it: "Good Boy Outside! Good Boy Outside!" OK, it sounds silly, but it works! He will quickly associate OUTSIDE with doing his business and the resulting praise he'll receive! B)

2. As far as how long he can stay in the crate at one time, I would not keep him in there but a couple of hours at a time during the day, with plenty of outside the crate time to play. then he can stay in there from bedtime to morning, unless he needs to void during the night.

3. When he is put into a crate as a means of correction, 15 minutes is plenty. After that, he has forgotten why he is in there :unsure: and will just either go to sleep or whine.

Hope this helps. You will find lots of great advice on this forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts