Basset Hounds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem house training my basset. I have been training him to a puppy pad. And using a baby gate at night and locking him in the kitchen so we don't have messes aall over the house. I don't want to put him outside but I'm getting really inpatience with him. He gets in trouble if he doesn't use the pad and I take and put him on the pad and show him where to go. But its not working... I have never house broke a puppy. Please if anyone could help me train my pup I would highly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
Jamie :confused:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My first advice to you would be to invest in a crate. I believe the crate is the best house-training tool in the world, although I know other people use different methods, but it's made a world of difference in the efficiency of house-training mine.

First, the area in his crate must be small enough so that he has room enough to stand up and turn around in, but that's about it. If the crate is too big for him now, divide it up (I used a concrete block and a piece of plywood). Place the puppy in the crate whenever you can't watch him every minute. Most dogs won't soil where they have to sleep.

You didn't say how old your puppy is, but very small ones have to go potty often. About an hour is the limit for them to "hold it". And if you are watching the puppy, outside of the crate, remember that he will have to potty after eating/drinking (about 10 minutes afterward), immediately after a nap or playtime, or any time he becomes excited. I don't use puppy pads, myself, but when it is time for him to potty, place him where you want him to do his business and make him stay there until he goes. And when he does, praise him and treat him, so he knows he's done a wonderful thing!

Don't be impatient with him, as he is just a baby and it will take a while for him to get the idea. But make sure you give him lots of loving and treats when he does a good job, and this alone will make the idea stick in his mind. Good luck!

·
Registered
249 Posts
In addition to what Cindy has already said...

puppypads are not ideal...they're convenient. Because people use these pads they think that the dog is being trained, it's not. Your dog will continue to go in the house because you're letting it go in the house.

To help you with housetraining, don't free feed and don't free water. Split your puppies daily food amount into 4 servings and spread them over the day. Water when you feed.

When it's time to take your puppy outside, put it on a lead and walk to the spot you want him/her to use. Stand still and calmly repeat 'go potty' or 'toilet' (whatever phrase you've decided on). When your dog goes, praise, treat and go in the house.

The idea behind the lead is that 1. you teach your dog where you want it to go and 2. it distinguishes between play time and potty time.

If your dog doesn't go w/in 15 minutes, bring it back in the house, crate it and try again in 10 or 20 minutes. An unhousetrained puppy should never be left unsupervised.

What do you mean by 'gets in trouble' when it goes? A puppy shouldn't be in trouble for anything. Most puppy mistakes or misbehaviors are the cause of the owner or a lack of training. If your puppy goes in an area that is undesireable, clean it up and go about your business. What you do by yelling, hitting or otherwise scolding is train your dog to eliminate away from you in an attempt to hide it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.