Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. While I plan to do a lot of reading on/off this board, I thought I'd post a question relating to house training that perhaps some of you can offer some insight.

I got my "Millie" at 9 weeks of age; she is a spayed female and currently 17 months old. I've owned other dogs in my life (springer spaniels and german shepherds mostly) but Millie is my first basset.

Based on the reading I did before getting a basset; I knew that bassets could be more difficult to house train than other breeds but I wasn't expecting the problem to go this long!

When alone in the house, she is in her crate and since about 8 months of age, she will not relive herself in her crate. When I'm home, she usually has access to the house (although I restrict her access to certain areas using gates, etc to help me keep an eye on her).

When not in her crate, she seems to have no concept that she shouldn’t relieve herself in the house. My best success has been simply keeping her on/learning a schedule and getting her outside when I think she needs to get out but she still seems to have no concept of “letting me know” when she needs to go out.

I’ve tried to be consistent with treats when she goes outside but she just hasn’t seemed to make the connection between needing to go out – letting me know – eliminating outside and then getting a treat!

I’ve tried the “bell” system but she has NEVER seemed interested in that concept either.

I’m sure most of “her” problems with this is my fault but I’m running out of ideas and, frankly, getting a bit frustrated especially when every other dog I’ve ever had seemed to pick up house training with almost no effort.

Does anyone have any suggestions, words of encouragement or point me to an especially good resource?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
494 Posts
We try to take Shyla out every hour to avoid her peeing in the house. She does not go in the house except for sometimes at night and she seems to be doing better with that lately. I have also started noticing that Shyla will give me a clue to her needing to go out and you really have to pay attention because its not like she goes to the back door and barks! LOL I notice that when she starts pacing or not settling on the couch with me that she probably needs to go out and if I get up and say "Go outside" she'll head straight to the door.

Does she drink a lot during the day? Does she actually pee when you take her out? It might just mean that you need to take her out more frequently until she gets in the habit that she pees everytime she is out.

I know others here know WAY more than I do so I am sure they will have better ideas to help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for the quick reply!

Millie basically has as much water as she wants during the day but I take her water away about 8:30 at night unless she seems (and we go to bed about 10:30).

She almost always pees when I take her outside (althouhg now and then she'll do nothing outside and then almost immediately pee or have a BM inside!!) :)

I know it's not an issue that she can't hold herself...she has held herself for hours when in her crate...it's got to be more of an issue that she doesn't understand that she "should" hold herself and/or let me know in some way that she needs to go out. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know many people have talked about tethering their dog to them with a leash so you know where she is at all times and what she is doing (or about to do...) Maybe she smells urine residue on the same spot?

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge can help out!

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
"I’ve tried the “bell” system but she has NEVER seemed interested in that concept either."

reread the links on training. It is not a miracle cure it takes time to train properly.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Also, if she's going in the same spot again and again, it's probably not been cleaned well enough. Remember, she's a hound and unless that spot's be CLEANED (like with enzyme cleaners), she'll find it again and again! 17 months old, I'd say it's normal, from my experience anyway. I've got two boys, and neither were completely potty trustworthy until around 2 years! My youngest, 3 1/2 years, still isn't trustworthy when it comes to trash, toliet paper, socks, plastic cups, soda bottles, eye glasses, etc, LOL!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Millie sounds exactly like my Lily, same problem and I used to have GSD's as well and they were so easy to house train I can understand your frustration. All I can say is it takes time and patience and good management on your part. Lily still isn't perfect but this is 95% better than she was. Keep rewarding her with a really great treats when she goes outside whether you and to carry her out there or not. a leash on her while you are supervising her in the house along with the gates will help you stop any unwanted behavior including this, you can quickly direct her outside.
Keep us posted and lots of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts