Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Francis tripped going down the front steps last week and really mashed up his right front paw. No breaks but he had plenty of soft tissue injury so the vet put him on the ol' Rimadyl n' Rest routine with love slave Bevy having to carry him up and down the front steps for some bathroom action.
So now I aggravated my neck badly enough to warrant steroids ( in a few days I'll start thinking it normal and necessary to eat 5 bowls of spaghetti with butter and cheese and I'll cry hysterically if I can't) and Francis has decided that it really isn't necessary to go outside to void.
Hey! Francis thinks. Why go outside? It hurts, it's a lot of work, and with this miserable rain it's just a heck of a lot cozier to just hang out in the spare room when the urge strikes. Besides, Bevy is just too fried on steroids and painkillers to catch me in the act. I could get used to this....
And it's my 11th birthday (February 25th) so let's just party it up!
What a week......:eek:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Oh no! Poor Francis and poor you!

I wish I had some advice about the stairs- would some sort of sling around his chest help him down the steps? A plywood ramp?

When my old girl Molly became incontinent and couldn't do stairs anymore, I carried her up and down several times a day for a long time- I wrecked my back, and she only weighed 40 pounds! I can't imagine carrying a basset!

And Happy Birthday to Francis!!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Oh my! House of horrors is right!

I hope you both get better soon!

A plywood ramp might work depending on how many stairs you have. We did that for one of our dogs for two months that had surgery on his leg.

Happy Birthday, Francis!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Oh, Bev--
I hope things get better. Hang in there with Franny. Steroids are nasty drugs...Hope both of you are real better real soon,

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I hope things are going better there and that the "week of horrors" is over for good. I remember when Bubba, ATB, was on steroids for a bad back episode and he was peeing constantly. It was tough to get him out the door in time. We used a ramp for the steps, 4, but that won't help with stairs.
Here is a link to a harness that can help with lifting that might help. Spendy, but so are doctor's visits for you and meds.

Blue Dog Designs

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that harness idea. Unfortunately, with Francis being blind we can't do ramps, he'd fall right off them, so, oh well....
We went back to the vet because the foot is still swollen and he's to stay on the Rimadyl.
I'll have back surgery in April so until then the two old geezers, dog and human, will have to muddle along.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Hey Bev<

Sorry things are so tough for you and Franny right now. :( I hope you both are feeling better soon. Back surgery soon, too? I hope your recovery is quick! Better weather is coming and warmer, brighter days will work wonders on both you and Franny (I know he can't see but that sunshine sure feels good on old bones - Moe loves to soak it up:cool:) Take care!

Terry

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terry, I make it out to be worse than it is. In fact the picture of the two of us laid up and popping pills has to be good for a laugh or two. Hope all is well with Moe

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe is doing great. He just had his yearly check-up and the vet says he's in pretty good shape for an old guy. He has an infected cyst but no more surgeries for him... we're just treating it with antibiotics and ointment. He's slowing down alot but he's still my happy-go-lucky Moe.

We have adopted another Dachshund from All American Dachshund Rescue! His name is Sir Copper (I want to change it:p). I arranged transport for him today. He'll be coming to us next week from Nashville Tenesee (my friends joke that he won't understand us yankees:D).

Take care of yourself and Franny. Spring's coming! (I hope!:rolleyes:)

Terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts