Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is our first real summer here on the east coast (or I guess we are considered mid-atlantic?) and its already in the upper 90s with high humidity. Charlotte is a girl after my own heart and HATES the heat. When we take her out for her potty breaks she will go quickly, then lay down in the grass and will not move for anything. Within 5 or so mins out there she is panting with her tongue hanging down to her giant paws. She looks miserable. When we do get her back inside she will sit at the window and stare off like she doesn't understand why she is stuck in doors all the time. She is used to being a very active pup with lots of adventures and outings. I don't think she likes being at home all the time, but I don't know how to take her out in that weather safely.
We've been taking water and trying to go only in the mornings or late evenings but it doesn't seem like enough activity for her. Are we doomed to a summer of sitting on the couch? Any ideas out there for us?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
When I lived in Florida, I found that ice is the key. He got ice in his water bowl, and ice in his water bottle for walks. I got a little spray bottle and filled it with ice water, or left it in the fridge, and would mist him. There are also these bandanas that have blue ice stuff in them that guys who work outside wear. You could try one of those. I also used to keep dog popsicles in the freezer for when we came in. They were called pupsicles. Used to get them at Walmart. You can make your own with sodium free chicken broth and little dixie cups.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Dog do not have very much evaporitive cooling, historically they are more nocturnal and sleeping during the hotest part of the day so it is not as necisarry for them under thouse situations.

You can improvise sweating and evaporative cooling by hosing down the dog as teh water evaporates it cools the air aournd the dog increasing heat transfer. You do not want to use ice water or really cold water for this because it colls the skin and constricts the capillary which carry the warm blood to the surface of the skin for cooling. if the only water you have for this purpose is really cold you want to wait a bit before strenious exercise. In hot weather Mariah is kept damp all day ans wet down again before any agility run works quite well. also does not hurt that wet basset tend to evoke crazy basset 500 as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We have a plastic kiddy pool that they can go in to cool off... The only problem is that they don't "get" when they shouldn't go in it. Like when you are bringing them in to leave for work or when it's bedtime...makes a mess in our kitchen but it's just water!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great ideas thanks everyone! I got Charlotte some doggie ice treats (looks like frozen chicken broth basically from the ingredient list) and I will get her a misting bottle too. I already give her lots of ice water but that doesn't work well on walks. It makes a lot of sense to keep her moist... I'll see if that helps.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
conditioning plays an important part of it too. If they are alway in the air conditioning they will never get use to the heat outside.

Keeping your Dog Cool while Participating in Summer Sports

or a cool coat but I would avoid ones that require that you wet the tend to become heavy especially if they have an absorbent to hold the water. A bought one for toughy once hes simply would not move with it on. The ones in the link above work wet or dry and they do not absorb a lot of water like the gel aborbent type coats

·
Registered
275 Posts
Evening strolls and night maneuvers patroling the yard for rabbits were favorite activities of my hound during hot weather. Since she's been gone, the rabbit population is taking over and eating all my plants. Those rascal rabbits have stripped the blueberry bushes and are now working on the freshly planted zinnias. I'll fix them, planning to bring another hound home this summer. Then their mid-night feasts will be over.

It looks like it will be a hot one but I sure will be happy to finally have another hound. I need to go out shopping for a puppy pool!

·
Registered
767 Posts
We live in the desert with high temps but low humidity. It gets 120 degrees plus and as high as 130 on the patio concrete. The dogs have a plastic pool and one small area of grass. Nor is there much shade around here. Early in the morning or late in the day is about the only time they seem to want out. They have a doggie door but not booties so the ground is way to hot. Last year made frozen doggie treats of yogurt and peanut butter that they really liked. Guess I need to get busy and make some more.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I personally miss hot summers in the 90s and 100s, and actually used to get mad in San Francsico at how cold it was in the summers. once i looked at the paper and found the only place in the country colder than SF was in Maine that weekend! (ie. 50s)

But Worm should probably consider himself a lucky dog.

it does not get hot here at all, even in the summers. maybe 4-8 days a year in the mid/high 80s or 90s. mostly 60s and 70s. in fact, we are still feeling pretty cold for nearing summer. this weekend and today, lows in the 40s highs in 60s. brrrrr...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally miss hot summers in the 90s and 100s, and actually used to get mad in San Francsico at how cold it was in the summers. once i looked at the paper and found the only place in the country colder than SF was in Maine that weekend! (ie. 50s)

But Worm should probably consider himself a lucky dog.

it does not get hot here at all, even in the summers. maybe 4-8 days a year in the mid/high 80s or 90s. mostly 60s and 70s. in fact, we are still feeling pretty cold for nearing summer. this weekend and today, lows in the 40s highs in 60s. brrrrr...
OMG please trade me!!! I miss my California coast weather so desperately right now. We came from the Monterey Peninusla here to the DC area last fall and I can not begin to explain how much I hate having actual weather here. I am so used to it always being mid 50s to mid 60s all the time.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If it didn't get so humid here, I could tolerate the heat better. I miss my hometown, where it could get hot, but not very humid and the nights were cool.

I've noticed Boomer sleeping more when it's hot, even tho we have central air.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If it didn't get so humid here, I could tolerate the heat better. I miss my hometown, where it could get hot, but not very humid and the nights were cool.

I've noticed Boomer sleeping more when it's hot, even tho we have central air.
I agree, it is the humidity that kills me here. So far flash does pretty good outside but he has had a few times where he starts panting. We usually just go in. For whatever reason, he does NOT want his water outside from his dish-but will drink from a mud puddle, random puddle of water in a toy, etc. Guess the water bowl is too boring for outside!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Bumping as a reminder about summer and heat for your bassets; please take good care of them (I know you do, though!), plenty of water, shade and rest.

I only bring this up again as we are in a heat advisory through Thursday evening. High temps with high humidity, which means very uncomfortable and potentially dangerous conditions.

Boomer and I have been chilling inside all day, and he goes out long enough to do his thing, bark a little, then back inside to sleep, sleep, sleep.

It's been a miserable spring and summer around Nebraska anyway, with all the flooding and weird weather we've had so far this season.

Take care, basset friends and families!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
hee hee, Boomah... can we say 'swimsuit edition' entry???
well, stay cool, and i hope ya get an ice bath soon or somethin'.
thanks for the reminder about the heat and not getting heatstroke. ya have a smart mommy.

gotta give ya another update here... 'cause we still got weird weather. yesterday there was cold rain. yes, cold. like 50-60 degrees. if ya know this area, it doesn't rain here in the summer (we don't get summer rain typically), so we are, like, breaking records for raining and cold weather close to July.

but then, it's forecasting 80-90's this weekend, so we are going to have a huge shift that is unfathomable right now in the cool weather... nope, can't even imagine it. hmmm... this is what they call 'earthquake weather'...
--Worm

ps. Charlotte, hope you get to make a trip back to Monterey area, it's so beautiful there. lemme know if ya do and we can go runnin' around town..

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Thanks, Worm. Momma has to work today, so I have to be in my crate. That's ok, I can sleep through the heat. Speaking of sleep, it's time for my morning nap while momma gets ready for work here soon...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Bassets should not have a huge problem with heat as long as she is drinking water. Spray her belly with a hose and she may not like it being done but it will cool her off. Dogs also love to lay on a cool shady spot of concrete to cool their bellies.

Hard to believe growing up our dogs stayed outside all day when it was 105+ in west Texas. Shade and water make it possible though.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It's still summer, but it hasn't been as humid, so I've been staying outside longer. I even took a really looooong nap on the back porch today.

And then this evening, momma went outside to play with me, and it was so nice out. My favorite toy is an empty cat litter jug, it has a handle so I can grab it and run away from momma, hahaha!

I stopped once to bark at a couple walking by, momma told me later it was the Sheriff, and I had better be a GOOD BOY! I wonder if they have good food in jail.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts