Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my hounds (especially Lily) are afraid of horror movies. Thursday night my fiance and I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre and both my hounds scattered out of the room only to dart through it to go outside with daddy for his cigarette break and finally came out when the movie was over. Last night we watched Saw 3 and Lily once again left the room. Gibbs stayed in the room, but situated himself to where he couldn't see the T.V. and they both came out once the movie was over. I didn't think they really payed attention to the t.v. or maybe it was just a coincidence. Just thought I would share.

~Heather

·
Registered
465 Posts
Movies like those are designed with music to up the suspense and can raise blood pressure and pulse. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that dogs are very sensitive to that type of stimuli. Not to mention the crazy screaming and chainsaw noise. If your home is usually calm and soothing, these unfamiliar disturbing noises probably frightened them.

Tonight, let them watch The Sound of Music! :lol:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think about it like that. Our house is usually quiet and when it is noisy it is very rarely scary noise like those movies. I will definitely keep Animal Planet or something on for them. Poor babies.

~Heather

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Some friends installed a really nice sound system. One of their dogs was completely spooked by it. She had never seemed sound-sensitive before, but it was so upsetting to her that they could hardly use their new system. :(

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The speakers for the tv are near Ruby's family room bed so when there's loud rumblings or noises one of her eyebrows will go up. :p

The only time she really gets freaked out is when there's fireworks on tv with the booms. When she was a puppy she'd be freaked about my fireworks and thunderstorms. Fireworks because we lived near the high school where they set them off in Bassetchusetts. And also when she was a puppy we got caught in a lightning storm while on a walk and she's been freaked by them ever since.

When we lived in Bassetchusetts, the lighting used to strike practically on top of the house and we had a very large skylight in the kitchen. Not only did it scare Ruby, but I was pretty freaked out too.

And in Florida, she'd be more freaked out than normal during thunder storms because we had a gigantic ceiling to floor beautiful unadorned window facing the backyard and it rained there alot. So you could practically see the bolts. They say there's more lightning strikes in Florida than any other place.

Here in California, Ruby isn't bothered much by the rain because we rarely have any.

Janice

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had trouble when I installed my theater system. When ever a tv show has a barking dog in the background, it sounds like it's outside our house, and both of mine go running out to find the dog.
Once there was a cat fight on tv. Good thing I wasn't standing in their way, running out as fast as they did. I would of been plowed over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had trouble when I installed my theater system. When ever a tv show has a barking dog in the background, it sounds like it's outside our house, and both of mine go running out to find the dog.
Once there was a cat fight on tv. Good thing I wasn't standing in their way, running out as fast as they did. I would of been plowed over.[/b]
We've had similar experiences with our surround sound. Our puppy, Thor, really notices the sounds of other dogs on TV. We have a speaker on the floor under a desk, and he will sit facing the speaker, cocking his head from side-to-side every time he hears a dog bark. It's quite amusing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts