Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So honey was spayed on July 3rd, and it’s currently July 20th. Ever since she had her spay, ( she’s completely healed btw) the only thing she’s been having issue is her tummy upsets and And weird poops. I talked to the doctor and we send in a fecal samples and she came back negative to intestinal parasites so that’s good. I’m just wondering is any other bassets went through the same thing or if there’s any tips to help her with that?

thanks guys!
Emily and Honey :)

p.s. I’ve been giving her fortaflora but hasn’t seemed to be helping at all.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Dogs will have looseness and odd-coloured stools immediately after having a general anaesthetic. But I'd not expect to be seeing what you are seeing still. I have to say I didn't notice anything abnormal after our's were spayed (or after other surgery) I'm afraid. Have you tried adding some natural, unflavoured yogurt to her food (if you can souce goats yogurt that's best) - is she eating up ok? Yogurt quite often clears up uncomplicated digestive upsets - it's a probiotic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dogs will have looseness and odd-coloured stools immediately after having a general anaesthetic. But I'd not expect to be seeing what you are seeing still. I have to say I didn't notice anything abnormal after our's were spayed (or after other surgery) I'm afraid. Have you tried adding some natural, unflavoured yogurt to her food (if you can souce goats yogurt that's best) - is she eating up ok? Yogurt quite often clears up uncomplicated digestive upsets - it's a probiotic.
Thank you so much! I haven’t tried yogurt yet, because I thought the FortiFlora packets were enough probiotics. But I will now switch over to that because it’s more natural and I’m running out of ideas. I’m also switching her over to blands foods today, so just rice, chicken, pumpkin and for her breakfast is plain oatmeal. She was eating her food good, and drinking her water perfect. She’s playful and acting normal. It’s just the diarrhea that’s bothering her. I’m wondering if it’s some type of complication from surgery. I’ll keep you posted! Thank you again! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
So honey was spayed on July 3rd, and it’s currently July 20th. Ever since she had her spay, ( she’s completely healed btw) the only thing she’s been having issue is her tummy upsets and And weird poops. I talked to the doctor and we send in a fecal samples and she came back negative to intestinal parasites so that’s good. I’m just wondering is any other bassets went through the same thing or if there’s any tips to help her with that?

thanks guys!

Was she on antibiotics after her spay? If so that may have upset her tummy, even after she is off the meds for a little while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was she on antibiotics after her spay? If so that may have upset her tummy, even after she is off the meds for a little while.
They gave me pain relievers but I never gave it to her because she was okay and doing great ever since she came home from the vet. That why I’m so stumped with because she hasn’t been on meds and it’s been almost 3 weeks and still having tummy trouble.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE So I fast Honey and gave her plain oatmeal, And yogurt. she hasn’t pooped but you can that her stomach isn’t as bloated and she’s been drinking electrolytes so she’s been a ball of energy! She still has a vet appointment on Friday so I’ll keep you guys posted!
Thank you guys so much for your tips! Any help is very much appreciate!!
Emily :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
UPDATE So I fast Honey and gave her plain oatmeal, And yogurt. she hasn’t pooped but you can that her stomach isn’t as bloated and she’s been drinking electrolytes so she’s been a ball of energy! She still has a vet appointment on Friday so I’ll keep you guys posted!
Goo
Good news!!! Hope she is on the path to recovery now. Excellent choice of what to feed her.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update so we ended up not going to the vet today because... HONEY IS DOING GREAT :D I’m actually surprised how quickly oatmeal and her probiotics helped! Thank you all for your wisdom and we deeply appreciate all your help! <3

·
Registered
8 Posts
update so we ended up not going to the vet today because... HONEY IS DOING GREAT :D I’m actually surprised how quickly oatmeal and her probiotics helped! Thank you all for your wisdom and we deeply appreciate all your help! <3
I am SO glad to hear that! Oatmeal and probiotics to the rescue, and a lot less expensive than a vet bill. Please et her know Lola, Pancake and Dixie are wishing her well(y)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Good to hear - I always hesitate to advise treatment, but for sure, natural yogurt has usually helped sort out uncomplicated tummy upsets with mine. Antibiotics (and pain relief) are normally given at the time the surgery is done, and more (abs.) are not necessarily needed, other than spay because of a Pyometra. Many vets don't give extra pain relief but often it's needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, what we just found out yesterday that a toothpaste we have been giving her has NEEM OIL in it! I was so surprised how careless these companies are. Neem oil is used as a pesticide and often uses as a topical anti inflammatory and should not be used external and can make dogs very sick with vomiting and diarrhea but thankfully we found out before it was too late. I’m just saying it hear for any other dog parent who doesn’t know to always check the ingredients. This is my first puppy so I’m learning as I go! I also post it on my social media platforms to create awareness, here’s the post I shared!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh my gosh that's horrible! Is this toothpaste made in the U.S.?
Yes it is, honestly it’s very sad how companies trick people to thinking what’s best for their dogs and actually do more harm than good. I’m just glad we found out in time!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good news! I asked my dog friends about Neem Oil and they said it is an all natural antibiotic. They use it for skin rashes,itchy skin, toothpaste. It's totally safe for people and dogs!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s awesome! I was worried that the neem oil was the cause of her stomach upset! Thank you for letting me know!

·
Registered
1 Posts

thanks guys!

Tbh, yogurt is your safest option, you should definitely give that a try. You can give vegetable/chicken broth a try, that might work too. You can also try probiotics - that will reset the levels of good bacteria which will help improve the digestive system of your dog by reducing the amount of bile.
However, if nothing works, it's better to get in touch with a vet. If you already have one for your pet, you can ask their opinion. You might also wanna check with some vet forums out there. There are some portals that help you connect with vets nearby - greatvet.com, veterinarians.com.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE I was gonna update y’all sooner! So I took her to the vet even tho oatmeal and yogurt was helping but she was still having really smelly and soft stools. But I took to the vet and she had HOOK WORMS- yikes! But they finished the dewormer medicine and I ask the doc to send me some antibiotics to help treat any bacterial infection might have occur, but she’s all better now! Thank you to all who helped me and even though it wasn’t a upset tummy I have more knowledge for the next upset tummy! Now I’m taking her to the vet because she’s having some pain in her hip so we’re gonna get that checked out! I’ll keep you guys updated with that in the next post!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts