Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took in the most beautiful Basset over a year ago. He was very skinny and very fear-agressive. The owners were splitting and neither wanted the dog. I had a Basset that passed away two years prior to getting Homer and was still missing him terrible. So, I took in the Basset, re-named him Homer and just loved him for a year. The problem is that his prey instinct is very high. He was encouraged to hunt rabbits and I have cats. He needs to be in a home without cats and small animals since he will go after them with a vengence. As a result, I've had to have him contained in one room all the time. It's not fair to him, as he does well with my Lab mixes, but can't run around the house with them. Being contained causes him to bark a lot as well, which drives everyone in the house crazy. So, I have finally made the decision to find a new home for him, although this is breaking my heart. I thought of this post because I know the people here love the breed and understand their habits. I just want him to be happy and cared for and loved. He has really changed since he moved in with me - he has become very loving,put on weight, and is a beautiful, small boned, Basset. I live in the Finger Lakes area of upstate New York.

Judy

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I already knew about that as I contacted them once before but chickened out! Actually, they were more interested in talking me into keeping him and making me feel awful for wanting to give him up. I already felt that way and love him very much so this was hard enough. So, I just chickened out! I guess I was just testing the waters here to see if perhaps someone here jump up and say "WOW! An answer to my prayers! I was looking for just such a dog!" I'm really still not sure that I will be able to do this - at least if it doesn't seem like the right situation for Homer. Thanks again for your help.

Judy

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just as an update - I am trying to work things out with Homer. I know I've tried everything, but I'm so attached to him that I'm not sure I can give him up. I am going to work even harder on his training and hope for the best.

Judy

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think it will be really hard to place a dog that is very fear aggressive with a high prey drive. You don't say if Homer is confined for a short period or all day. Too long alone is not the answer. There was a poster awhile back who had trouble with her basset and cats, people had quite a bit of good ideas to keep them in the same house. One I remember was a piece of PVC pipe for the cats to run into. Try doing a search for that post. Wish you and Homer all the best.
Joan

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions Joan. Homer is no longer fear agressive - he came that way, but has changed a lot since. He's really quite the cuddler now. It's just the thing with the cats. Actually, those posts you refer to were responses to my original post a long time ago. I have had some good advice from someone who posts here and am trying some of his suggestions. I guess my real problem is that I'm too attached to Homer, and he's attached to me. It's a hard thing to part with him, although if things really don't work out, I may have to resort to a Basset Rescue, but I'm hoping that won't have to happen.

Judy

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Judy,

I'm glad you have found some new strategies to try with Homer. I hope you find a good solution. Best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts