Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been trying for a few days to get in to post, but the site seemed to be down.

We drove Homer to New Jersey on Sunday afternoon. It took longer than we thought - 4 hours there and 4 hours back. Poor Homer got sick twice, but otherwise slept the whole way. He's never been a good traveler. We heard that evening from Pats sil Debbie who said she brought Homer into his new home and stayed a while to see what would happen. The woman's husband took out homer's matress and layed on it and Homer came and layed next to him! Didn't growl! He also was sitting at her elderly mother's feet for a while. Unfortunately, he cried all night and kept them all up, but the next day he ran around (and rolled around!) in their fenced-in yard and played tug-of-war with HIS stuffed toy with their little dog and didn't try to harm him or anything! She also walked ALL THREE dogs together (the other two are pretty small) and they were fine. SO FAR, SO GOOD!! Debbie had to go to Arizona on business this week, but is keeping in touch by phone. I was a wreck about this - crying all the time, but once I knew this was it, I got a lot better. I feel that perhaps this is a better home for him because there are lots of people who are home all the time and he really needs socialization. As long as they are aware of safety issues, it should be ok. She has my number if she has any questions as well. I gave her Homer's "things" along with his crate and bedding so everything wouldn't feel too foreign to him. Debbie assured me that if this doesn't work, she and her husband will take him in and keep him until a suitable home can be found. He won't be stranded in New Jersey!

Even though I have two other dogs (Lab mixes), it's so quite at home! They are now able to play with their stuffed toys and rawhides, which they couldn't when Homer was here because there would be terrible fights over it. The cats are beginning to come out again as well, since they were always hiding from Homer. I think when Sarah goes (she's 14), I'll probably get a rescue Lab - already trained and housebroken.

Thanks for all your support. Now that I'm "houndless" I may still lurk, as I love hearing the stories about your hounds, but probably not be posting.

Glad to hear that Steiner is OK. I was really worried.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe me, it was an extremely difficult decision, but one that I had to make. I should have done this a long time ago, but I kept hoping and trying new things. I just pray that he is happy and that this all works out, one way or the other. I just want him to have a good rest of his life. I do intend to visit with him in the future as well.

·
Registered
484 Posts
First of all, a BIG HUG for you!
This must have been so very hard for you! Our heart goes out to you!

We are crossing all our fingers,paws and tails for Homer and you.

It sounds promising so far. Must be a releif for you.

Please let us know how it goes .

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:) So happy for Homer and so :( sad for you! You have done the best thing for both you, your family, and Homer. I'm sure it was a gut wrenching decision, but it sounds like Homer is in good hands. Hugs from South Dakota.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That was a very brave and courageous thing to do! You provided him with a happy life, and gave your own life a break from the craziness too. Good for you! I am sending you a big cyberhug. I have had to re-adopt a German Shepard years ago, it turned out to be the best thing for both of us. She had a great life and her new owner brought her over about two years later, he told us that he could not imagine his life with out Niah. The funny thing was while she was here she jumped on the couch, and darted up the stairs...Her "new" master was just shocked. He said that she never ever would go up his stairs or jump on his couch.

This dog ate our venetian blinds, plants, carpets...any thing she could. We had to crate her every second we were not around her. It was miserable for all of us, but she was taken to her new owners farm in Vermont, where she lived a happy life.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sometime's doing what is right for others is the hardest to do. I applaud you for putting others ahead of you, and in the process it looks like Homer wins and your other pets win. Good karma, what goes around comes around, and it sounds like you have done a great thing. I think you will be much more at peace with this, especially after he is settled into his new home more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for your kind words. I have to say, now that it's over, I'm feeling a lot better. At least I've stopped crying! So far, I haven't heard anything, so perhaps all is going well. I'll know more next week when my friend's sil returns from Arizona and gets a chance to visit and see how things are going. My prayers are that Homer will fit in nicely and have a wonderful life. He is the cutest Basset Hound I've ever seen and there's a wonderful heart there. He deserves the best. Thanks again for making me feel so much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts