Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Does anyone ideas for homemade toys basset's love? Mine has had a lot of fun with empty 2 liter bottles. I would love to have some more ideas. Thanks! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've heard of some people taking empty toilet paper/paper towel rolls and stuffing them with kibble/treats and bunching up the ends and let the houndies go crazy with them and rip them up to find a nice surprise waiting.

·
Registered
465 Posts
We were not able to let them have empty 2 litre bottles. They would rip them open and the edges would be sharp. I was afraid that they would cut their mouths.

Elmer and Button love my husband's old socks. Sometimes it looks like the rejects department of a sock factory in our living room! We sometimes tie knots in them too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Carlotta loves socks too. In particular she likes to "steal" them from our bedroom chairs and then run away just to get our attention.
She also loves playing with gloves I use for gardening...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Try stuffing one sock down to the toe of another and then tie a knot above it -- instead of plastic soda bottles, try milk bottles -- softer plastic, less likely to cut

·
Registered
129 Posts
Zoey is another sock lover. I'll take castoffs and tie them together to make a sort of "socktopus". She loves it. When my father was a design engineer he had a special printer for his blueprints, and the paper came on super thick looooong paper tubes- i wish i still had access to those! The mess was incredible but it kept Z busy for a long time.
Thinking about this I guess I don't make hardly anything that would qualify as a toy. :mellow: Zoey gets in her hyper moods and I'll play with her by putting the gold bond bottle on the floor (she barks like crazy and jumps around it), but I don't let her chew it. Hmmm. If anyone has some tried and true ideas for toys I can make, Zoey will love you forever!

·
Registered
139 Posts
My Bassets have liked the plastic jugs and bottles of all types and sizes. Herman really liked to chew up cardboard TP and paper towel roll tubes. He also cornered and killed a few full size basketballs. Harold killed several squeak toys by tearing them open and pulling out the stuffing to get at the plastic squeaker. I managed several times through emergency surgery to save his last favorite toy ("Squeaky") by repacking the stuffing around the squeaker and suturing the seam. He would shake and throw that thing like a real rabbit, although he was probably imagining catching our cat. Or remembering the groundhog he caught once ... My Coonhound does not believe in toys, or play for that matter.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

This is one of Bogie Carter's favorite toys. A christmas gift from our neighbor that she made from the scraps from the popular hand tied fleece blankets. She just took long strips, plaited them into a long rope, and tied knots on each end. We play tug-a-war; tie it in a big knot for throwing and Bogie tries to untie it by shaking it to death; or long like it is and he loves to lead you around the house with it. Easy to wash when dirty, and a great home made toy.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
We were not able to let them have empty 2 litre bottles. They would rip them open and the edges would be sharp. I was afraid that they would cut their mouths.[/b]
Ha :lol: I had one that favorite chew toy was alluminum cans, never had a problem even with the shredded cans. His second favorite toy is what I call a bag of bags, A bunch of plastic grocery bags stuffes into one which was tied off usung the handles to form a ball, five minute later when all the individual bags were scatter about the house he would come looking to have you rebuild it. Actual these were the only toys he played with besides my forearm.

This is one of Bogie Carter's favorite toys. A christmas gift from our neighbor that she made from the scraps from the popular hand tied fleece blankets. She just took long strips, plaited them into a long rope, and tied knots on each end.[/b]
FWIW there are company that make leaseh like that specifcally for the same purpose
Braided slip leads for tugging

·
Registered
4 Posts
HOWDY
BESIDES LOVING CATS AND KITTENS ONE OF MERLIN'S FAVORITE TOYS HAD TO BE THE 3" TALL STUFFED "A&W" ROOT BEAR. HE WOULD BRING IT TO BED AND TAKE IT INTO HIS KENNEL WITH HIM FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT. HE ONCE DRAGGED ALL HIS BLANKETS OUT OF THE KENNEL LOOKING FOR HIS ROOT BEAR. HE HAD THAT FOR PROBABLY 6 OR MORE YEARS.
A SOCK ROPE OF ABOUT 7 OR 8 SOCKS TIED INTO A CIRCLE MAKES A GREAT TUG OF WAR TOY AND IS FUN TO WATCH HIM CARRY IT AROUND WHEN HE WAS A PUP, BETWEEN TRIPPING ON HIS EARS AND THE SOCK RING.
HE WOULD OR COULD NOT CATCH ANYTHING. JUST WAIT FOR IT TO LAND, EVEN IF IT BOUNCED OFF HIS NOSE.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not sure old socks as toys are best if your Basset is already a sock klepto. <_< We try to discourage the sock interest in our house.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My 2 have a basket full of toys, but they go for socks, and underwear/boxers instead. My husband caught them with one of his socks a bit ago and said "Now I know why I have holes in my socks." The funny thing is they will get a toy and put it next to the sock and pretend to chew on the toy... <_<

~Heather

·
Registered
87 Posts
My rescue boy Beswick has a thing for rawhide gloves, my partner is a farm hand, but it's v odd ho its ALWAYS the R hand one that goes missing!?????????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts