Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone use dry shampoo for their bassets? homemade dry shampoo? I am thinking about trying some but not sure if it is worth my trouble to do it. Just wondering if it'll be easier to do dry shampoo instead of putting the dog in the tub. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi, does anyone use dry shampoo for their bassets? homemade dry shampoo? I am thinking about trying some but not sure if it is worth my trouble to do it. Just wondering if it'll be easier to do dry shampoo instead of putting the dog in the tub. Thanks!

I do not know about dry shampoo, but I frequently use doggie wipes on Bessi and Smili. They work well in between baths.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i was thinking about something like that actually. it just kills my back to wash the dogs. i kind of gave up on daisy, but bowser sleeps with me so i usually just wipe him down each night before bed with a wet washcloth and some perfume or something on it *lol* which is terrible, i know i shouldn't do that...makes him sneeze, but i also can't stand his stinky paws (he licks them a lot because they hurt because of his elbow displaysia...yes he's on treatment for that but he still licks). ANyway, my mom used some when she was in the hospital once, and i wondered if they had something like that i could use on him. How would you make homemade kind?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dry shampoo recipe

1/2 cup ground oats
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup crushed lavender

Grind your oats add the baking soda and crushed lavender then mix well you can use a large salt shaker with bigger holes to sprinkle your dry shampoo on your dog. Ground oats will absorb excess oil the baking soda will absorb odors and the crushed lavender will repel fleas.

Anyone knows where I can find some dry lavander? This sounds really nice. Maybe Porter would actually smell good for once. hahaha He is a bit ripe at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I just use cornstarch or baby powder. Both need to be brushed out very well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you for the recipe...I just emailed my mom to see if I can get some of her lavender. She grows her own and has a lot of it this year!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
i also can't stand his stinky paws (he licks them a lot because they hurt because of his elbow displaysia...
It is unlikely the elbow causes his baw to hurt but a yeast infection often between the toes will cause stinky and itchy feet. Using an antimicrobial wash vineagar, alcohol, boric acid ie eye wash will help along with atheletes powders etc.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Mikey! That's a good point. I realized just this morning that bowser had a yeast infection in his armpits!! He does lick his elbows, and chew between his toes, but I think i was misunderstanding the cause. I think you're right! I have anti yeast cream I can apply before he sleeps (so i can keep an eye on him so he won't lick it off, since he sleeps with me) and I can do the baby powder thing later.
I will have to find some boric acid.

OH and btw with dry shampoo they actually do make a foam like stuff that you can rub on yourself, at least for humans. that's what my mom used in the hospital....i really hadn't heard of using actual powder and oats on a dog before!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Couldn't you just buy human dry shampoo? They sell a few in the shampoo isle but they are pretty perfumey I think, at my pharmacy we often special order hospital grade stuff that might be better for use on a dog.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
dry shampoo for bassets = fox poop/deer poop/deadrotting fish carcasses/dead rotting anphibians

and the have a much more appropriate perfume all their own,

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
will have to find some boric acid
malacetic wiped by dermapet 2% acetic acid 1% boric acid Vinegar = acetic acid. Typical white distilled vinegar is at least 4% acidity and not more than 7%.

100% boric acid powder

4 oz size
enough to make 3 gallons of antimicrobial solution.

1/2 gallon water
1/2 gallon distilled wite vinegar
1.25 oz boric acid 100%

= 2-3.5% acetic acid and 1% boric acid.

·
Registered
972 Posts
bowser eats deer poop, not rolls in it *lol* he's a terrible hunting dog!

Dermapet melacetic wipes...and/or make your own?

I'm kinda confused *lol* Is there a place i could get the powder that isn't online? I'm still not really sure what it is besides just being..itself. lol

·
Registered
972 Posts
lottesmama....the stuff i've seen before is a hospital grade foam...although i am remembering now a spray-powder for human hair (forin between regular shampoos) that is VERY perfumed. i don't think the dogs would like it much, not to mention i bed they'd go through a lot of it!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Is there a place i could get the powder that isn't online?
most pharmacies and you want 100% not one with anything else added. Don't need much.

I'm having a hard time finding Boric Acid Powder. Anyone know where I might be able to purchase ?

Look for it at the drug store in the area where they have the antiseptic products. Check several if you can't find them. I got mine at Rite Aide and it was just right there.

...got mine at CVS

...Boric acid is what I use for ear wash along with some witch hazel. I found my Boric acid at a local Rite aid store but most stores like Walgrens or Walmart should have it.
The same solution can be used as a non iratating ear wash or substitute whitch hazel for the water if you want the drying effect of alcohol with less irratation

it is used in eye washes which would be the more expensive ie food grade the technincal grades are often used for pest control as a desicant{ dry out the insects/fleas } but indoor use only as borax is toxic to plants,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts