Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While in Athens visiting the Acropolis on our first day the first thing that I noticed was the first of hundreds of homeless dogs that we would encounter over the next two weeks. There are homeless dogs and yes cats everywhere. Most are tagged showing that they have been vetted, spayed and neutered and given their shots but still none the less homeless. Most seem to be fed and watered by the employees of the various sites and on the most part in Athens seem to be in fairly good shape. It is although very upsetting to a first time visitor with a well loved and cherished pet at home and it is very hard to understand the logic of the former owners. It seems in some cases that when some owners go on holiday the dog is just put out to fend for itself or to be taken care of by neighbours. Don't get me wrong I am sure there are millions of respondsible pet owners in Greece but to see these dogs living in the 100 degree dusty ruins was a shock and something that I had a hard time with.
In Turkey we met with the same thing but this time there was no evidence of vetting and the dogs seemed to be in rough shape and often rail thin. Most dogs were big and I was amazed that though they lived in a pack they were not aggresive but not overly friendly either.
Turkey as is Greece also seems to have an over abundance of homeless cats but seem to be at least fed and watered by everyone. Every corner in
Istanbul seems to have a bowl of water and mound of kibble and our hotel shared a cat with the hotel across the street.
In Crete we met with a new sight. Street urchins of about 7 to 9 years with an accordion playing a little ditty begging with puppies of no more that 4 or 5 weeks. Our guide said it was a normal occurance and even though some tourists would pay for the dog and take it off the the local police (why when they could not take it home) most tourists just gave money to the little beggars and thus the cycle would continue day after day. It was upsetting and even though I didn't want to look I found that as a pet lover I couldn't help myself and I had to promise my daughter that i wouldn't let myself become involved.
I am so happy to be part of a society that for the most part is repondsible for the pets that we bring into our homes and still cannot understand others that cannot.
Okay that was my lecture of the day and I feel a whole lot better for sharing. Thanks for being so good and loving to your fur-babies and give them an extra hug and treat for the homeless of Greece and Turkey.
Paisleys Mom -- Sandy

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Dear Mrs. Paisley's Mom,

Wow. seein' lotsa heavy stuff on your travels. musta been really heartbreaking to see all that.

my person felt that way visiting some of the outskirts of Malaysia. Not a 3rd world area, but not 1st world either. people were incredibly poor there. felt bad to be "vacationing" there. if sh went back to those cities, it would definitely be in a helping capacity not for vacation..

here's are some pics, including a Malaysian dog sleeping on the street. She belongs to someone who has a business on the street.

you must be so glad to have Paisley and me (well, i might become your son-in-law one day, ya know), if our relationship survives.
--Worm :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
In Crete we met with a new sight. Street urchins of about 7 to 9 years with an accordion playing a little ditty begging with puppies of no more that 4 or 5 weeks. Our guide said it was a normal occurance and even though some tourists would pay for the dog and take it off the the local police (why when they could not take it home) most tourists just gave money to the little beggars and thus the cycle would continue day after day.
Same reason puppy mills stay alive in the US. As long as they make money, they keep doing it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
We visited Greece, and Turkey back in 2005. I DO remember a LOT of cats! But don't remember seeing any dogs. But, the economy has worsened over there a lot since then. Poor things! I didn't see any street urchins either, but the guide kept us aware of/watched out for gypsies! He got allll worked up about them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Jaleey I too think the urchins were gypsies and our guide also got very worked up about them. If the guides get so worked up about the situation and they are all Greek citizens then why has something not being done about it! As for the economic woes and the homeless pet situation I tend to think that it has nothing to do with the amount of money that one makes rather the society's mindset -- if it is an acceptable action by the society of the nation then it will become the norm no matter how much or how little money one has.

·
Registered
972 Posts
That's it exactly, is their mindset. It's not really a bit issue for them, so it's probably not really addressed at all.

As for the gypsies...when we talked with our guide and a couple other people about it, it's like the whole country is racist against them! It's so weird. The gypsies are this whole group of people that are still basically nomadic, but not bums, but they are treated like scum. They look like everyone else! But if they suspect a person of being a gypsie, they treat them really hatefully. Now, supposedly their culture over there IS to kind of beg tourists for money, but it's all a scam. Supposedly. Once we were in some square somewhere and our guide got all worked up and said to really watch and make sure that the people around us were the people who were already in our group, because "the gypsies will hide amongst a group of tourists and then pick your pocket! They are horrible for it!"
We did see some people with signs or something begging, but our tour guide got all worked up and mad an fussed at them! *lol* Actually that time it was in Italy. I don't remember bums or urchins or dogs, in Athens, but they were too busy protesting...and that was in 2005! They're still at it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts