Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my little buddy is home from the hospital. He had his right eye surgically removed.
He is one traumatized and rattled little pup. Gosh, he's scared to death and trembled all night.
They're all wonderful at Angell Memorial but it HAS to be traumatizing to go through what he's endured over the last week, and he flinches every time I touch him. It's so darned sad. I'm giving him plenty of time to adjust and I won't push him.
He's drinking water but won't eat and I'm having a hard time getting those HUGE antibiotic capsules into him. Any suggestions?
I'll be talking to his vet today.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Can you break the caps into smaller pieces and slip them into a ball of cream cheese or a piece of hotdog? (The cream cheese or hotdog might tempt him to eat, and he might not notice smaller pieces of the medicine inside the treat.) This worked for Murray when he was taking huge Amoxicillan tablets for his anal gland abcess a few weeks ago. I am so sorry that you are going through this right now. You and Franny are in my thoughts.

[ August 18, 2004, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

·
Registered
538 Posts
My heart is just breaking for you and your baby. I feel like a huge baby because of what Emma went through yesterday having a lump removed--and it was NOTHING compared to your situation! I'm so sorry...sheesh, it just breaks my heart to think about it. Does he have his prosthetic eye already too??? I just can't imagine. I don't even know what to say except I'm sorry. Must be unimagineable pain for you to see him so miserable. I had to give Emma a huge pain pill last night...I tried it in cheese, and the pill was still sitting on the floor when the cheese was gone. I crushed it up using a food chopper, and put it in more cheese and she ate it. But I don't know what you can do since he won't eat anything?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I've always had to hide pills in food --- depending on the pill, too, I've sometimes had to crush it first, then mix very well with cream cheese or whatever,

You can also try chicken broth --- just get a nice piece of chicken and boil over the stove for a little while, til you have a good broth .

What an ordeal Francis has been through. I bet he's really upset. :(

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When Max has been sick and had to take lots of pills, I used slices of American cheese and wrapped the pills in that. It works really well for Max. The cheese might help with your baby's appetite too. Max sends lots of love and drool for a speedy recovery.

Max's daddy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts