Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm staying at my inlaws... In total.. 5 bassets-dubbed the basset brigade.

So tonight at around 11:30pm I had this really strange urge to cook breakfast for in the morning. A simple recipe that includes breakfast sausage, cheese and biscuits put into a muffin pan and baked (they freeze really well).

Well I was letting them cool before freezing them and I hear a clunk. I come into the kitchen only to find ONE of TEN left! Daddy Basset has eaten them ALL!! They were on the counter!!! Away! ughhh... How did he miraculously grow??

So I'm staying up to watch for signs of bloat and vomiting...

Anything else I should do? I do hope someone is on, even as it is 1am...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ah!!!! Counter-surfing is a basset Olympic event and isn't it amazing how incredibly long those fellows get?! I would say that diarrhea would be the most common problem after that misadventure. Even though he'll be thirsty I would avoid letting him too much water over the next few hours so further decrease the chance of bloat and also, keep him from overdoing it with activity. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'd be most concerned about pancreatitis which can follow ingestion of fatty foods. Symptoms vary but often you will see vomiting, abdominal pain, lethargy and loss of appetite. Also may have fever, greasy stools. If your dog has any of these symptoms or seems sick I'd call my vet right away. I've seen my vet in tears after a holiday like Thanksgiving because she had patients die after getting into or being given food from their owners holiday meal.

Hope the thief has no ill effects from his food stealing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts