Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting article on Philly Dawg site Sept 2nd:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pets/

"Pennsylvania's most notorious animal abuser, Linda Bruno, is featured in a compelling Associated Press story examining the nexus between animal hoarders and "rescuers" and detailing efforts by researchers to persuade the American Psychiatric Association to include "hoarding" in its diagnostic list.
Readers may recall Bruno ran Tiger Ranch, a "no-kill" rescue known throughout the Eastern seaboard and as far west as Indiana as a safe haven for unwanted and feral cats.
Hardly. As the AP piece by Sue Manning notes, Tiger Ranch was in reality a feline death camp, that took in 7,000 cats over just one 14-month period and adopted out a grand total of 23."

"The Hoarding of Animals Research Consortium at Tufts University is urging the American Psychiatric Association to include animal hoarding in its next update to its diagnostic bible."

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hoarding is a strange form of cruelty because in most cases they really do have good intentions but end up doing far more harm than good. For that reason I tend to agree that it is a mental condition.

The real problem, though, is that there's so many unwanted animals to begin with.

I don't think it's fair to still call people like this "rescuers". Clearly they are not, despite what they want to call themselves, and it's unfair to the reputable rescuers to group them in the same category, much like grouping the respectable breeders on this site with the puppy mills.

·
Registered
186 Posts
such a sad situation all around. of course you have to feel for the animals under the care of these people and the environment they are in, but also the people themselves. like kirska said, many of them have good intentions and want to rescue all of these animals. i hate thinking about this stuff!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I woman I know has a history of hoarding. She is trying to reform (if that is the right word) and I see what a struggle it is for her. We help her with finding furever homes for the adoptable ones, but many that she takes in are old or have medical probelms that make it harder. Each time she wants to bring a new one is we have to remind her that she needs to adopt one out before another comes in. She usually listens - but I know she has an internal struggle going on every time.

Hoarding is a mental disorder. I think they feel that no one can care for the animals better than they can. I agree they start out with good intentions, but they sadly end up doing more harm than good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts