Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that my 2 year old male basset has hip dysplasia. I am devastated. He is on Glucosamine and Deramaxx currently and I have been reading about surgical options. Any advice or opinions out there.

:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan to notify the breeder. She said her plans were to breed the mother and father twice and then no more. I saw the parents and I they looked fine. My vet said this can skip generations so she probably didn't know. I know now you can send xrays into an organization of the breeding dogs and keep track of problems and also get a "certified" no dysplasia dog. Oh, well...I am taking this one day at a time. He doesn't show any signs of pain, just a little bunny hopping or skipping for now.
At least I know that he will get the best treatment possible with me. He is a very happy dog, loves to play. Loves all dogs and humans. He is so dear to me....we will get through this. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information of this subject. My vet is quite conservative and would not recommend surgery unless there is no other option. He clearly has said, let's see how he does on the glucosamine and anti-inflamatory first. He did say this is one of the worst cases he's seen. The femoral head looks like a disk not a ball. I have noticed him having problems for about 6 months. Naturally his is about the most playful basset ever......At the dog park people are always saying "I've never seen a basset run that fast!!" He clearly shows signs now of lameness after he has been sleeping. He also would opt to stay at the dog park for hours if I would let him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.