Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indy is a little over a year old and just within the past 2 weeks has been licking his rear numerous times throughout the day. This is not a behavior we have seen before from him. Just today I caught a sort of "seafood smell" from him. When I sniffed him over it is coming from his rectum. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it an infection or some sort of bacteria? I am going to call the vet in the morning. I was just wondering if anyone had any input or advice before then. I am a bit concerned... :(

·
Registered
773 Posts
Mikey T. is right, I'm sure. I find a little pumpkin added to Charlie's food helps with this.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I am relieved that this is probably what it is. I am going to call the vet to make an appointment.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That is a foul, foul smell :blink: and we have experienced a sort of "spray" of that nasty stuff a time or two. I guess Dixie cleared them out herself. She was barking loudly at a kitty at the glass door and it sort of ...just happened. I thought I would DIE from the smell. But she was fine. She was like "what's the big deal ...what's going on"? We were running in every direction.

SO yeah ...get those things checked lest you find yourself throwing rugs away and repainting your walls :lol:

PS Bleach took the smell away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We did get him to the vet soon after I posted. All is well now. She said they were very full!!! It was so hot in the examining room we were in and when she expressed them the smell permeated throughout the room and I was dry heaving on it. She did offer to teach me how to do it, but I told her no thank you I would rather pay to have it done.

I wonder how long they were full for because since we had it done when he jumps up to put his paws on the window sill he lets litttle noisy spurts of gas out. I have smelled it, but I have never heard a dog pass gas before. It cracks me up.

The vet said the same thing about adding to the food that I had heard from others. Pumpkin or metamucil.... I am going to the store today to get the pumpkin because I think he may consider it a nice treat. :wub:

I have to say this site is the best place for a dog owner. My fiance and I are first timers (I had Yorkie's growing up, but was never responsible for their being healthy and it seems they don't have the health concerns that a larger dog entails) and I do not know what I would do without being able to come here to gain information about bassets.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yep, I prefer to pay the vet too! Yuck.

When you get the pumpkin make sure it is 100% pumpkin and NOT the pie filling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
He needs his anal glands expressed. Of course, it might happen on its own. The "hiney smell" can often get worse depending on what foods you use (for example, Canadae totally makes basset ass worse to name but one).

·
Registered
782 Posts
One time I absent mindedly bought pumpkin pie filling and when I went to feed it to Francis he was moaning and swooning. I guess he likes sugar.
I express Fran's anal sacs myself so I'm religious about a high fiber diet!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I prefer to pay the vet too! Yuck.

When you get the pumpkin make sure it is 100% pumpkin and NOT the pie filling.[/b]

Thank you for that hint... I made sure I got the right stuff! I added it to his dinner last night and he loved it! The fun part was cleaning up the little globs he smeared into the rugs. :blink: About how much do you give with the meal? I feed him 2x a day.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I caught a sort of "seafood smell" from him. When I sniffed him over it is coming from his rectum.[/b]
Glad to hear it was nothing unusual. But I suggest you buy your seafood from a different grocer. :blink:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I add a heaping tablespoon full. I also add a small handful of green beans. The bowls are always very well licked to make sure that every molecule of pumpkin is gone!

·
Registered
26 Posts
(for example, Canadae totally makes basset ass worse to name but one).[/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Basset Ass" I know its gross, but now we all have a term for this! lol I guess I just love crude humor

·
Registered
538 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Basset Ass" I know its gross, but now we all have a term for this! lol I guess I just love crude humor[/b]
:lol: That's funny!!! When Emma bites at her bottom I say "Do you need a butt squeeze??" and she always has this "look" on her face and then just stand perfectly still looking straight ahead until I'm done. I laugh every time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts