Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
From what I`ve read it seem`s The A.K.C. wants to be held as one of the best registry`s but still not turn away the big commercial breeders.
That means there can be an elderly breeder not keeping his kennel as clean as he did when he was young cited with warnings from big brother.While Big bills breeding kennel that drop`s pup`s as fast as the bitch can breed pumps 1000`s of puppy`s into the market place.
I will continue to support the A.K.C.,my hope is some good will come from all their efforts. Michael Fulkerson

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Akc is between a rock and a Hard place and basic has no idea how to proceed. There is a perception that if only the AKC got involved the problem of puppymills could be resolved but in reality they are only a Paper tiger. The Commercial breaders have come to realize that the general public does not care about papers. Oh yes, the puppy must have papers, when the buy, but the don't care who provided the papers of even to register. Only 50% of the dogs of registered litters are ever ultimately register with the AKC.
From a PR stand point the AKC would love to be a major player in cleaning up puppymills, but the sad reality is the only way it will happen is by changing the public attitude on on commercial and wholesale commerce of pets.
People general hafta learn the hardway, so for each generation there is a hugh number of suckers for commercial breeders to prey on.

Michael Tefts

------------------
Worlds slowest agility dog

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike:

I believe you have always advocated that if DNA testing should be required of All Breeder and somthing should be done about the cost.

from pg 18 Registration issues
"The committee recommends that in order to insure accuracy in our
registry and pedigree information, the goal of the AKC shall be to have DNA on file for
every sire and dam in the registry within five years." and continue on page 19 "The
committee realizes that the current price of DNA profiling is too high for some registrants and it therefore recommends the use of new FTA technology for the collection, storage and verification of parentage of all sires and dams in the AKC registry."

Michael Tefts

------------------

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am glad about their decision to have all breeders on file.
Between a rock and a hard place,I could not put it better myself.
Michael Fulkerson

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about small pet stores?

The ones that rent mall space or a small mini-mall slot. These guys put out flyers and advertise that they will sell your pets for you.

I know from experience a person who bred his dog and then sold the litter to a pet store. After they were weaned, the entire litter was put in the pet store along with several other litters from different places. This exposed them to disease and minimal care.

These pet stores supposedly have to get the puppies to a vet for shots and such before they are sold.

I know I'm rambling and maybe don't have a point. But are pet stores in a mall good?. Or, is something like Petsmart a better thing as far as getting a new puppy.

Or should you do research and try to find an AKC registered kennel?

Maybe I just have a jaundiced view of pet stores.

Seems to me a small, local breeder is amore open and friendly way to get you a good puppy for your family. I got my Brittaney from a pet store and will never do it again. She looked so unhappy and had a cold when I got her. Maybe I'm soft-hearted, but it seemed cruel.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Hi, Philip,

This info regards posts to the Politics Forum. On the Politics Forum, there is a policy of having everyone sign their first and last names to their posts, (unless they're already so identified by their user names). Unsigned posts are deleted.

[This message has been edited by Betsy Iole (edited 12-04-2002).]

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phillip your experience is not unique. The reason being pet stores and commercial breeders objective is to make money. Whereas a reputable breeder's is to improve that breed of dog. Many of the prudent consideration made by a responsible breeder cost money to implement and negatively effect the bottom line of commercial breeders. If you must have a puppy always seek out a reputable breed. If a puppy is not mandatory consider a dog from a pure breed rescue.
Personally I well not frequent a pet store or chain that sells dogs for profit. It is my understanding that Petsmart has a corporate policy of not selling dogs. They do frequently allow space in their stores for local rescue groups to promote themselves and the dog they have available for adoption to the general public.

Who is and is not covered it gets a little trick because of lawsuits and appeal. The current regulation could change at any moment but this is how it is currently. The USDA is the major regulator and inspector of the commercial dog raising industry, both the pet market and research. The division responsible for inspection is APHIS,Animal and Plant Health inspection Service. Their current interpretation of the Animal Welfare Act include breeders that only sell pets retail in the exempt for pet stores from regulation. Any breeder that only sells dogs to individual pet owners is exempt. Also small breeders are also exempt if the have 3 or less breeding females on the premises. All commercial breeders and brokers (middlemen who transport dog between breeders and pet store must be licensed and subject to USDA rules for operations. Last Year the Doris Day Animal League challenge APHIS's interpretation of the Animal welfare act and won summary judgement, The judgement was stayed pending appeal. If the judgment is up held the exemption for breeder that only have retail sale would be eliminated this means virtually all breeders would be subject to USDA regulation Unless the fit the small breeder exemption.

In 1996 AKC started a High Volume Kennel Inspection program. It was the first time that AKC included kennel conditions as a grounds for disciplinary action. . The AKC has no differentiation between commercial and retail breeder. Size is the only criteria. Pet store are also included. AKC's definition of high volume is any one who raise 7 or more litters in a year or any broker or pet store that has 25 transfers in a year.

The USDA has the right to fine, and/or criminally prosecute violators the strongest measure the AKC can impose is a lifetime ban form being able to register dogs.

In the little pet store, BYB story you told the pet store engaged in illegal activity. Pet Stores are only allowed to by from licensed brokers. There is no exemption from USDA regulation for brokers. The problem is the USDA has no way to enforce it because it is prohibited from make inquiries to pet store as to the source(S) of the animals they have for sale.

Michael Tefts

------------------

·
Registered
4,902 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you for all the information.

After my experience buying my Brittaney from a pet store, I will never do it again. I will search for a reputable breeder and do it right next time. Or, I will contact a rescue for an older dog like you suggested.

Philip Walls

1 - 10 of 10 Posts