Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Hana had a urinary tract infection and was on antibiotics for six weeks. Before that her urine was always normal.

Now the vet tells us that her pH reading is high (9, against a normal value of 5.5 to 6)and there is a presence of crystals. She has told us that Hana must change her food and we can only get the food through the vet. Needless to say that the food costs a fortune...about $20 for 3-days worth!

Anyone have any experiece with similar problems? Is this a lifelong thing or just a recovery phase from the UTI? Unfortunately vets here don't speak great English and they are not used to being "quizzed" by patients' owners.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Here is a link I've found which explains something about the diet connected with kidney problems:

http://www.gundogmag.com/health_nutrition/stoned_1031/

Apparently, from what I briefly read, the stones/crystals can come from foods which are largely grain-based. Can you find a food with no corn/wheat/soy in it, over there? That should go a long way toward solving the problem, I believe. Give this article a read, and see what you think. Good luck, and kisses to sweet Hana!!!

A

·
0 Posts
My Max has a number of allergies. Food allergies are right up there. I get Prescription Diet ZD Ultra from our vet. It is fairly expensive, but not as expensive as what you are using. It has no wheat or corn in it. Max does very well on it. You might ask your vet about it. Max has also had UTI in the past. Max will be seven in October.

MikeM, Max's daddy

A

·
0 Posts
Shami has had a lot of UTI's and this past one did not clear up after a month of antibiotic. She showed a lot of crystals so we were told that SD was the way to go. It's a ninety day treatment with urine checks every 30 days then after that a maintenence of CD. This is all food put out by Hills. The SD is canned only and it is expensive. 24 cans $38.64. She eats a can and a half a day so it isn't cheap but seems to work. The first month's urine check was clear. Hooray. Almost time for the second check. The SD is suppose to dissolve the crystals and if there were any stones forming would take care of that too. She had an xray in the fall for stones and nothing showed. I'm doing the 90 day plan and then will go from there. Will investigate the no grain food and see if there is something I will be able to get from someone other than the vets.
Keep us updated on what works for Hana.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have done a ton of research on urine ph because my rescue dog had a calcium oxalate bladder stone removed just a few months ago. He has the opposite problem which is acidic urine. I am hesitant to use the RX food because prior to living with is, he had constant ear infections, bladder infections and allergies and the ingredients in the Rx food dont look the greatest. He is just thriving on Canidae, and it just so happens Canidae produces a high ph (I called the company) and has no corn wheat or soy. But while researching, I did find out that Solid Gold may have something that would work for you. Here is a link with some info:

http://caninestore.theshoppe.com/urinary_t..._disorders.html

Alkaline urine is what struvite bladder stones like, so if you google struvite bladder stones, you will get a ton of info. Hope that helps.

A

·
0 Posts
my older dog has acidic urine, and he takes a supplement d l me something that keeps that in check what does you vet say?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, now we are in a truly typical Japanese situation. One vet (that originally treated Hana's UTI - although not that successfully to be honest) has said that the pH problem and crystals amy not necessarily be a permanent thing and may just have been a result of having the urine sample taken after a walk and eating! The vet that put Hana on the special food says it is permanent. Go figure!

The current vet also says "no treats!". We said that Hana loves carrots and apples (they are unhealthy??!!), but the vet says no. It sure is a dog's life!

Anyway, my wife and I figure that we will give it a couple of weeks and take Hana to another (reputable) English speaking vet to get a third opinion!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts